Rear bellhousing- trick?

aatrain

(78 zcar 5 speed that im putting in my maxima)I'm putting my tranny back together after a long battle.

What's the trick to putting the rear bellhousing back on so that the shifter goes between the forks properly... Or is it a wiggle it and try again?

Is there a way the forks need to be (other than neutral) to get this done?

Seemed like a pretty straight forward deal, and I've done it before- but I'm having some (more) trouble with this one...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Answered my own question- will leave it up so that anyone else who might need it can get it.

(shifter lever installed on bellhousing)

Pull up on th uppermost fork til it goes into gear and stays up. (first gear?)

As you prepare to lower the housing over the shifters, hold the shifter back and left. Lower the housing until you're able to get that shifter between the (engaged) fork. Make sure the end of the shifter rod goes in that little hole where it goes. Shift into neutral and it seats where it should.

That's how I did it. I'm no mechanic....

I installed a 720 diesel tail on my zx 5 speed and got it the first try.... then had to remove and add the sealer..... yeah took 4-5 tries, what a bitch. Tried the 1st gear thing and should work in theory but didn't for me. I got it though and drove to Canby with it. :D