Replacement Universal Joint... Needed?

Datsui

My 1979 B210 station wagon makes a terrible screeching noise when you reverse, and a similar (hard to tell exactly if same noise when driving since engine is so loud) noise when driving - but only when the clutch is not engaged, driving down the road, and you start to take your foot off the gas. One friend said he thought the universal joint must need to be replaced... any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Squeaking is a dry U joint sometimes followed by pinging and then a snapping sound as the needle bearing break up. Next the clearance allows the driveshaft to go out of balance and it vibrates. Not uncommon to skip one or all and go right to vibrating. I had a new '76 and the U joints are pressed and staked in, can't be greased or serviced and I just replaced the whole driveshaft from a wreckers. Little choice really as this is beyond the usual home mechanic. I believe that the driveshaft can be dismantled by a driveline shop, machined, and new ones installed but it will cost. Be sure to get ones that can be greased.

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if the wagon (1979 B310 MT) has pressed and staked or replaceable... I took a look at it earlier and with all the mud it's hard to tell... is there an easy way to find out which one it is?? I'm hoping I don't have to replace the driveshaft since all the Datsuns around here were crushed years ago.

Well, if you're just wanting it to run and you're not beating the crud out of the car, pretty much any brand universal joint is going to work.

If you want the best one you can get, go to your Nissan dealership and order in an OEM Universal Joint.

I recommend non-serviceable joints, as they tend to last longer (tighter clearances because they don't have to be pumped with grease).

People may argue, but if it has grease already in it (make sure you use a GOOD grease), it can't go anywhere so it should be good for life (or until you break it).

I'm pretty picky after having done so many U-joints... I now only use OEM joints.

Replacement U-joints can NOT be ordered anywhere for the 210/B310 driveline. Best you'll be able to do is find a local Nissan dealer with an OEM driveshaft on the shelf. Best price I got was $300.

Want something cheaper? Go find a driveline shop that is qualified to modify your driveshaft to accept better U-joints.

I payed a local driveline shop $150 to knock out the old joints, place in brand new joints with grease fittings, and balance the driveshaft.

I've been through this same dilema before and found it wasted time trying to get around spending money on it. Chances are the mechanic that told you he could do it probably doesn't realize what it takes to remove a staked U-joint.

In my honest opinion, ANY mechanic that wants you to source your own parts isn't a very good mechanic at all. Part of doing the job is finding the parts.