WANTED : 521 PARTS (1972)

Hi i just bought a 1972 521 pickup, im looking for the following parts:

im in san diego, ca

----------------------------------------------------

-ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTOR w/ wiring or MATCHBOX DISTRIB. (asap)

or

DUAL POINT CONVERSION ideas

-CARPET or MAT KIT

-WEATHERSTRIP FOR WINDSHIELD & DOORS

-STOCK STEERING WHEEL

-HOOD

-225x40x18x8 Used Tires for titan wheels

-Lowering Blocks 3"-4"

-Fuel Sender unit

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your list, and my comments put in.

-ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTOR w/ wiring or MATCHBOX DISTRIB. (asap)

or

DUAL POINT CONVERSION ideas

If the points are good, and the distributer shaft is not worn too much, you can get the distributer to work. It probably needs cleaning, and reapplying new grease that is not turned hard to the advance mechanism. I believe most electronic conversion kits need a single point distributer to start with. Your best option is a matchbox distributer, try to get the pedestal and the coil that came with the matchbox distributer. If you can only get the distributer, and no pedestal, you can make the L-16 parts work, but you may have to reindex the distributer drive by dropping the oil pump.

-CARPET or MAT KIT

You may find a carpet kit from JC Whitney, I am not sure. try to avoid the plastic stock floor mats. they are waterproof, and once water gets under them, it does not evaporate. Any dirt that gets under it grinds the paint off the metal floor, and because it is constantly wet, the floor rusts out. You no doubt have found lots of pictures on Ratsun of 521 trucks with rusty floors.

-WEATHERSTRIP FOR WINDSHIELD & DOORS

Again, possibly JC Whitney. I need to track down some felt for the window channels on my 521 trucks.

-STOCK STEERING WHEEL

The plastic in the steering wheel deteriorates from the sun, I think. This is a problem even in Oregon. I have heard a rumor that an early Ford truck steering wheel matches the splines on the steering wheel shaft, but I am not sure.

-HOOD

Good hoods are hard to find. They have rust issues. Many 521 hoods are damaged by people closing the hood without releasing the strut by the back of the engine compartment. There are also issues the back inner panel that the hinges bolt on to rusting out. Most 521 hoods also have the bonding from the inner braces broken. There can also be cracks in the top panel, neat the back where the inner brace ends. Because of the flatness of the hood, they can be a real challenge to straighten. Because of the thinness of the metal, is is also very difficult to use body filler to smooth out the hood.

-225x40x18x8 Used Tires for titan wheels

-Lowering Blocks 3"-4"

-Fuel Sender unit

Make sure the wiring is good first. A 35 ohm resistor connected to the yellow wire at the fuel tank should make the fuel level gauge read about 1/2 tank. Grounds could be a problem. I do not know for sure if the fuel tank grounds to the bed of the truck, or the frame.

Some general information on a 521.

The engine threaded fasteners are metric.

The pipe plugs and fittings on the engine are British Standard Pipe.

The body threaded fasteners are SAE. American sizes, but fine thread. Examples, fenders are held on with 1/4-28 bolts, headlamp holders are held to the core support with #10-32 screws, the Radiator is held in with 5/16-24 bolts. Brake lines are 3/16. with 3/8-24 flare nuts.

The fuse box causes a lot of electrical problems. It was good, for a stock truck, when it was new. But if you add any electrical accessories to the truck, it will be inadequate.

The connection between the fuse, and the clips that hold the fuse slowly gets corrosion on them. This increases the resistance at the fuse, and creates heat. The heat makes the situation worse, because if the clips get too hot, they lose spring tension, and the connection gets even worse. Also the glass fuses just have the fuse element inside the glass tube soldered to the end caps, and if the end caps get too hot, the element becomes unsoldered. Never assume a fuse is good by looking at it. You need a test light, or a volt meter to check that electricity is actually getting past it.

There are three main wiring harnesses in a 521. The engine room harness, the cab harness, and the rear harness. The engine harness plugs into the cab harness with a bunch of connectors behind and to the right of the glove box. The rear harness plugs into the engine harness in the back right side of the engine compartment, near the starter. The connections are not sealed really well, and they may be bad. This could be why you are having issues with the fuel gauge.

The brakes are not self adjusting. You must adjust the brakes every 3000 miles.

Hose out under the fenders, behind the front wheel, and above the headlight buckets on the inside. Dirt, and road grime collects there, stays wet, and makes them rust out. Like this.

FenderRot.jpg

• Like 1

Hi i just bought a 1972 521 pickup, im looking for the following parts:

im in san diego, ca

----------------------------------------------------

-Lowering Blocks 3"-4"

Have some lift/lowering blocks, Taper cut to set pinion angle~ 3 1/4" @ CL of blocks. *might* have some U-bolts if you can give me accurate measurements...

Think I've got another pair layin round that are 2.5" also.... LMK~

Scott

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.