620 brake swap

Radiant-Designer

Ok so I bribed the fiance to give me Sat to myself to work on the truck (she calls it my mistress) amd sunday I would bring her to ScreamFest (in Oct they turn an amusment park into a haunted amusment part, change some of the coasters around, have poeple in costume, etc) She agreed so I set off to get my truck's brakes done. I layed out all the parts and tools and WTF?!?!? the hoses I ordered were drop shipped and they were the wrong ones! I had asked BEEBANI a few times which to get and he said the rears from a 97 D21. I called Advance auto parts, Autozone, Robbins... everyone Of course being a Sat the local shops that have EVERYTHING closed at noon, and by the time I got to this point it was 12:10.... nobody had one in stock. advance said they didnt even have an option to order them. Robbins it was special order and they wouldnt even know the time frame till Monday... Autozone could but it would be till wed (I had already started taking some of the parts off by this point)

Ok so I thought I will just bring my orifinal brake line and my caliper and say i have A here and B here how do I get from A to b??? First was Autozone.... and theat was frustrating. the guy kept suggesting a hard line... Well what happens if I tirn the wheel???? He obviousely didnt know what he was talking about so across the street to Advance. The kid there was very helpful and looked up several nissan and foreign cars to see what we could get to be about the same length and size connectos. They couldnt order the 97, but could get the 91, and get it next day before 9 am! So I ordered that and crossed my fingers and went on to the rest of the build.

I dod notice while I had everything off, my frivers side busing on my suspension looked like it was negected for way too long, I have to look into replacing that soon.

Beebani's brakets worked out great! bolted tight on with no trouble at all, everything fit great and now I think it eliminated some of my issues with my brakes!

Pics to come.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the braket bolted up. Again went on super easy. Please excuse the mess, someone who ownded this before me over greased everything and as you can see it made a mess, More isnt always better, I am planning on replacing all the boots and seals soon.

IMAG0843.jpg

And the rotor on Yes I went with drilled and slotted, I dont plan on using the truck to race or anything, its just for looks and I dont think the slots and so on add too much but they look nice and maybe they help keep the dust down.

IMAG0844.jpg

And the caliper on... I do plan on repainting the calipers

IMAG0846.jpg

And as a final recap, I finished everything up including the master cylinder and rolled it out of the garage sat evening, had friends over for pizza, brews/wine, and watched Ronin, got to bet around 3, and got up by 8 to get ready and get to the auto parts store to get the hoses.... they worked! Ok so it may not be ideal the nipple was a few threads longer and I snugged it down the best I could. we had to leave bu 2 in the afternoon (as i promised we would be there when they opened at 3) so I was more worried about getting it done, I bled the system with the help of my landlord (an awesome guy who has been building cars since he was 12, hes like 70 now and has all sorts of pictures of old t-bucket hot rods and stuff hes done, he has 2 old mazda pick up projects that look sweet but he hasnt had them on the road for years.) any-who, back on topic. Bled the syste, took her for a spin, brakes felt great and it didnt pull to the left anymore! YAY! I brought her home, checked for any leaks or weeping and said it was good to go... Went to Screamfest, had fun, came home, looked her over again. and called it a night. I drove her to work today and so far am very happy with it.

thanks a lot BEEBANI! Im looking forward to getting the rear kit any day now!

Thanks! Hoping my back starts feeling better after working on this compounded with the roller coasters! if only I had the money and perhaps more importantly the time to just do everything all at once!

it is definitly coming along. Still want to find a 280zx 5 speed for it. I may wait tillt he spring to POR more of it and repaint it (keeping the original color) I just dont want to rush and do the job sub par, i would much rather have the time and bring it down to bare metap, prep and POR the parts that I know will be subjected to more rust causers, and then repaint it all.

I will probably do the rears in a week or so. Beebani said he was sending out my rear brackets, and the calipers and everything should be here any day.

i lucked out on the MC and the calipers, got the MC from a ratsun member for a lot less than I was finding on ebay or anything, and calipers I picked up when I was in cupertino for work last time, $40 for the pair pulled from a guy's 300zx he was parting out (old project). The trouble i have is all the junkyards up here you cant find any Datsuns and few of the older nissians, damn New England rust....

• 1 year later...