Need pics of frame mounted tank on 78(?) or 79 620

That's right, just need pics !

Searched as much as I could, but couldn't find anyone having a pic or any details of swapping to a frame mounted tank from a bed mounted one.

I have a 73 620 and I want to mount the tank on the frame and I just want to see a factory one for reference, plus maybe some measurements of the filler hose placment in relation to the frame & cab.

Fyi, my truck is in pieces so I don't have good reference points w/o putting everything back together :unsure:, so the ideal contributor here would be someone with the bed currently off their 78/79 (or pics of when you did!)

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The filler hose is the same. The tank is pretty much mounted in exactly the same position, the difference being there are brackets welded to the frame that the tank attaches to. In fact other than the mounts the tanks were nearly identical from '75-79. The '72-74 are different only in that they had fewer vent/return lines.

here are few pic's from a 78 620, the front of the gas tank lip is bolted to the cross member, held by 2 bolts.

IMG_7494.jpg

rear of gas tank, gas tank lip is held on with 4 bolts.

IMG_7495.jpg

if you need other pics, just LMK.

here are few pic's from a 78 620, the front of the gas tank lip is bolted to the cross member, held by 2 bolts.

IMG_7494.jpg

rear of gas tank, gas tank lip is held on with 4 bolts.

if you need other pics, just LMK.

Ahhh, a full dedicated crossmember for the front part. That's the key to what I was wondering about... I did see on another site where someone switched a 74 from bed to frame mounts, but he had two mounts (like that stock rear mount) for both the front and back which looked kind of weak to me like it might sag or even break over time (a full gas tank is freakin heavy). With the full xmember on the stock setup at least the support is triangulated somewhat.

Thanks a lot for those pics, they are a big help :)

The filler hose is the same. The tank is pretty much mounted in exactly the same position, the difference being there are brackets welded to the frame that the tank attaches to. In fact other than the mounts the tanks were nearly identical from '75-79. The '72-74 are different only in that they had fewer vent/return lines.

Thanks, the reason I needed the measurements is because my bed is off in storage right now so it was going to be a pain to mock up my tank just to find where the hose needs to be - without kinking or whatever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.