Drive shaft issue with motor swap J13 into my L320

hz in az

I have a 64 L320 that i dropped a J13 into from i believe a 60's 520. I have the stock drive shaft that came with the E1 and 3 on the tree on the 1200cc motor. they seem to be the same length but the splines don't match up.

Is the an easy fix? Do I need a J13 drive shaft off a 520?

thx,

HZ

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 64 L320 that i dropped a J13 into from i believe a 60's 520. I have the stock drive shaft that came with the E1 and 3 on the tree on the 1200cc motor. they seem to be the same length but the splines don't match up.

Is the an easy fix? Do I need a J13 drive shaft off a 520?

thx,

HZ

Are the trannys the same lenth? Your going to need the other transmission yoke, hopefully the u-joints are the same so you can just put the yoke you need onto the L320 driveshaft. You also might be able to connect the column shift tranny to the J13 engine, BTW, the 3 speed on the tree tranny is more than likely a 4 on the tree, as I have never heard of a datsun 3 on the tree.

A lot of Datsuns had 3-speed column shift. Some 410s had 3-speed column (remote) shift.

I did not know this. What about the L320, did it come with a 3 speed column shift? If I had not bought Mikes NL320, I would have thought they were 3 speeds, until I got one running and tried to find reverse, as reverse is not as simple to find as a three on the tree in an american vehicle. My first car was a 3 speed on the column, it was a 63 rambler classic, so was my second car, I am very happy that I didn't decide to collect them. :lol:

Are the trannys the same lenth? Your going to need the other transmission yoke, hopefully the u-joints are the same so you can just put the yoke you need onto the L320 driveshaft. You also might be able to connect the column shift tranny to the J13 engine, BTW, the 3 speed on the tree tranny is more than likely a 4 on the tree, as I have never heard of a datsun 3 on the tree.

I am not sure about the length the L320 didn't come with motor or tranny.

Sounds like a plan. Any Idea on where to find a 520 yoke?

thx

I am not sure about the length the L320 didn't come with motor or tranny.

Sounds like a plan. Any Idea on where to find a 520 yoke?

thx

I beleave that the wrecking yards are the place to look, or put a wanted ad in this forum. It would be best to take a clear photo of the tailshaft teeth, to be sure you buy what you need, these datsun years had a lot of changes, when advertizing, be sure to have the tooth count needed with a photo. Datzenmike might know what years have the yoke you need.