1978 620 5 speed swap

oregon datsun

I am obviously new here, but I need help. I am building a flatbed 620 pickup for work. I was told that it originally had a 5 speed, but it had a 4 speed when i got it. The guy i got it from gave me a "dog leg" 5-speed with the truck (in the bed of course). The 5-speed came out of a 200sx, he said it would fit right in, but I pulled out the 4 speed today and found that it was longer than the 5-speed. About 5 inches.

So my question is, is there a longer drive shaft (mine is 2 piece) that I can get at a junk yard that would work? I am bolting it to the original L20B engine. AND.....am I going to run into any other differences with this 5 speed that anyone is aware of? Oh yeah, it is a shortbed truck.

Appreciate any help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am obviously new here, but I need help. I am building a flatbed 620 pickup for work. I was told that it originally had a 5 speed, but it had a 4 speed when i got it. The guy i got it from gave me a "dog leg" 5-speed with the truck (in the bed of course). The 5-speed came out of a 200sx, he said it would fit right in, but I pulled out the 4 speed today and found that it was longer than the 5-speed. About 5 inches.

So my question is, is there a longer drive shaft (mine is 2 piece) that I can get at a junk yard that would work? I am bolting it to the original L20B engine. AND.....am I going to run into any other differences with this 5 speed that anyone is aware of? Oh yeah, it is a shortbed truck.

Appreciate any help.

There is no front driveshaft that will bolt in, you would have to have yours lengthened. If your 4 speed is working fine I would put it back in and rock it until you can find a proper 5 speed for it. The dogleg is not really a good choice for a truck in my opinion. The FS5W71B 5 speed used in the 620 is really the same transmission used in the 280z and zx. It is tough enough to handle a 6 cylinder motor and that should tell you something. The FS5W63A dogleg is really a 4 cylinder car transmission intended for a light vehicle and very small loads.

The dogleg has some value for a car owner (specially a 510 owner as it practically drops in) and perhaps you could sell it or trade for a truck or zx 5 speed.

A 5 speed will not make your truck any faster and unless you drive on the highway is hardly needed or used. It will drop high speed highway RPM to increase economy slightly but that's about it. Not saying not to get one just get the right one and it drops in for a perfect fit with no need for a $150 driveshaft shortening, rear tranny mount modification, possibly relocation the shifter hole in the floor and have a 'weaker' transmission when you are done.

Hey, good luck in what ever you decide to do.