Help! Clutch Pedal Stuck

dqami

Had to rebuild my clutch master cylinder in my 71 521 as all the fluid leaked out. I bled the MC using a hand pump (w/ the clutch pedal pressed down to floor w/ a Club type device) as I was alone and when I went to check the pedal pressure (yes I tightened back the bleed screw), I couldn't press down on it as it was hard after the 1st inch. What happened and what can I do to fix it???

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fluid leaked out all over the floor or it just went dry?

If it went dry you may have a leak in the line or the slave cylinder and the fluid siphoned down and out.

Not sure why you would hold the peddle down to bleed the master with a hand pump.

Open the bleeder on the slave and see if the peddle frees itself. If so continue to bleed the system by using the slave bleeder.

Thanks for your replies. The MC leaked inside the cab to the floor.

I had the pedal wedged to the floor because I read somewhere on the forum that was how to do it when no one is around to pump the pedal. If that is incorrect, please advise.

I tried to do a bench bleed from where the line screws on but it just shoots out all over. If someone has a better procedure, I'm all ears.

This is my first attempt at doing this myself so if anyone has helpful suggestions they are welcome. I will try relieving pressure at the slave and see what happens.

Get a short length of (used) brake line and connect to the master, bend the other end up over and down into the reservoir. Pump away, the fluid gets recycled and any air separated.

When ready, open the slave bleeder and pump several times to get the fluid moving down the line. At some point it should start siphoning down hill and drip out the bleeder along with the air bubbles. When it flows clear of bubbles your done. CHECK OFTEN THAT THE RESERVOIR DOES NOT GO DRY!!!

If this fails get someone to pump twice and hold down while you open the bleeder. Let air/fluid out and close. Lift peddle pump twice and hold, open bleeder and let out air/fluid. Repeat until there are 5 tries without any bubbles pushed out. Done. CHECK OFTEN THAT THE RESERVOIR DOES NOT GO DRY!!!

• 7 years later...