Finally got the head off the 310

Well, nice weather, and not wanting to fight Evergreen Fair traffic I decided, tackle the blown head gasket/broken head bolt on the '82 310.

Getting the head out of the spaghetti of hoses was fun...

S_p9040060.jpg

The intention was to take the head off with manifolds attached since I couldn't get the EGR tube loose. But, I tried one more time. Shouldn't have, because I only managed to break the EGR body instead:

S_p9040066.jpg

Well, crap, but now I can pull the head without trying to lift the manifolds too.

Good news was the broken bolt actually stuck up above the block deck a tiny amount:

S_p9040062.jpg

Not much, it did allow grip from vice grips but wouldn't turn. Gave it a few smacks with a BFH and sure enough it backed right out:

S_p9040063.jpg

head doesn't look like it burned at all, the gasket was definitely cooked though #2 and #3 fire rings out to the coolant passages. I'll still have to check it for flatness but so far seems OK.

S_p9040064.jpg

Filthy though.

But, in addition to the broken EGR, I was examining the exhaust manifold and it's got stress fractures all over the place. Some have blown out where recirculation lines are hooked up for the air pump. So, I need an exhaust manifold too. Finding a E15S manifold is not easy, not too many '82 310s or '82 Sentras on yards anymore. It's a really specific year, only '82 and part of '83, then they went to a different engine and I don't know if the manifolds are compatible with the E16i.

S_p9040069.jpg

S_p9040070.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will, once I find a good exhaust manifold. The car really isn't worth getting a custom header made for it, and the cracks are too significant (and too numerous) to weld.

Well, that and getting the head cleaned up. Probably warped, seeing that the manifold got hotter than Hades. These things had really bad overheating issues.