620 Grounds

izzo

Anyone tell me where the grounds are on the 620?

My dash lights (and park lights) fuse keeps getting hot and blowing. Id like to know where the ground wires are for whatever to clean them and see if thats causing an issue. also, is there a place i could make a secondary ground or something...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i may have figured it out. Theres got to be a loose hot wire around the battery area. I wiggled them and it quit blowing fuses and the lights came back to normal. Ill have to check them out during the daylight.

hope i can fix it quick, can't keep having it do this while driving home at night.

It's likely one of the running light wires under the battery. The wires run through the bodywork, and there USED to be rubber grommets that kept the wires from rubbing on the metal. The grommets tend to fall apart or just fall out and then the wires rub, cut the insulation and pop goes the fuses. Check both sides, but the battery side ones are usually worse because of leaked acid.

It's likely one of the running light wires under the battery. The wires run through the bodywork, and there USED to be rubber grommets that kept the wires from rubbing on the metal. The grommets tend to fall apart or just fall out and then the wires rub, cut the insulation and pop goes the fuses. Check both sides, but the battery side ones are usually worse because of leaked acid.

Tim, sounds like you have it narrowed down to a small area of wiring. But, just another thing to look at is the rear light wiring under the back of the bed. Did somebody try to make trailer wiring? And check that the wires are not rubbing back there either. Seen the same problem come from the rear of the truck too.

At least you know when it happens cause the dash lights go out too,

I believe you are correct. I moved my battery the day it started to happened, to replace the radiator and have some room to move around. Its rusted out pretty badly there and some wires are in the rusty parts. I temp wrapped up what i could to get me by till friday. Then i will unclip the wiring, go over it the best i can, re-wrap it up and see if that cures it permanently. Thanks for the heads up on this. After i made this post i realized that having a bad ground should cause it to not work, not blow the fuses. Thanks for that info!

Tim, sounds like you have it narrowed down to a small area of wiring. But, just another thing to look at is the rear light wiring under the back of the bed. Did somebody try to make trailer wiring? And check that the wires are not rubbing back there either. Seen the same problem come from the rear of the truck too.

At least you know when it happens cause the dash lights go out too,

Very true, ill be double checking the wires back there as well. Thanks Jason