timing problem

1077 Robby

i have a 1977 datsun 620 the guy i bought it from put in a L20B motor and rebuilt the carburetor the problem i am having is the timing i tried setting it at 12degrese BTDC it sounds close but does not start

wondering if the came is off could some one tell me how i can fix this with out tarring the hole motor apart

thanks robby

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1977 Datsun 620. The guy i bought it from put in a L20B motor and rebuilt the carburetor. The problem I am having is the timing. I tried setting it at 12degrese BTDC, it sounds close but does not start. I'm wondering if the cam is off. Could some one tell me how i can fix this with out taking the whole motor apart?

thanks robby

There. A little punctuation prevents mistakes.

Why do you think the cam is out??? Was the motor taken apart also??? If no or unknown lets leave it for now. Because the carb was rebuilt it is highly suspect that it was done incorrectly.

If you have fuel and spark you can get it running....

FUEL

Look at the front of the carb. There is a small round glass with a dot in the center. Fuel should be up level with or close to the dot.

Look down the carb and work the throttle. You should see a strong squirt of fuel.

When starting the choke plate should be closed.

SPARK

Stick an old plug in any of the wires and lay on the valve cover or any grounded surface. Crank motor... you should see sparking.

Set motor to TDC #1and take the cap off. Confirm that the #1 wire is directly above where the rotor is pointing.

Confirm that the wires are 1342 in this order.

• Like 1