lower fender mount

Hello , on my 510 wagon when I removed the fenders a few months ago the heads of the lower fender mount bolts on both sides broke off, and the shaft and threads of the bolts are rusted and seized into the body. They are stuck so badly that I cannot really drill them out, I tried to drill and extract one and the tap broke off in the bolt.

I was thinking of using a small bracket and moving the bolt to the little rail lip under the car, but was curious if anyone else has a better idea?

Also one of the upper fender bolt heads on both sides broke off, and those are also completely seized in place.

I really have no way of welding, and no budget left as I'm trying to get it somewhat "together" for JCCS. Just enough to survive the trip there and back and not look stupid.

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine broke and i used self drilling screw with a washer

You should be able buy them at local hardware store. mine has been holding for couple months now and I checked it the other day and it still feels tight.. I put hole in fender first and just drilled it into body while holding fender where i wanted it.

With this end

http://dgjc.en.aliba...ing_screws.html

Mine broke and i used self drilling screw with a washer

You should be able buy them at local hardware store. mine has been holding for couple months now and I checked it the other day and it still feels tight.. I put hole in fender first and just drilled it into body while holding fender where i wanted it.

With this end

http://dgjc.en.aliba...ing_screws.html

That would be OK, but the thing I'm worried about I'd want to remove and reinstall the fender again in the future... Would those still hold up as well after doing it over and over again?

You plan on removing your fenders over and over again? Not even the factory bolts are guaranteed to last 40 years.

Yes, I plan to remove them a few times for suspension and wheel-well work.

I understand the 40 year old crap wont last, this is why I have bought new bolts for pretty much the whole car!! I just need to get some sort of mount that will work and look OK.

• 2 weeks later...

The self tapping screw probably wont take very many removal and installs.. but i was going to re-drill original bolt out with reverse drill bit. and tap for new bolt ..This winter .

The more times you remove and replace the hole gets bigger till you would have to use bigger screw..