Going to look at a 76 Z 2+2

Hockey Nut

Hi All,

Have never had a Z but always liked the looks of them. Finally decided to take the plunge and restore one.

Going to look at one later today, the ad says "280z complete needs restoration not running. Motor froze 600 obo." Talked to the guy and he says the body is straight with very little rust. Did some research, rebuilding or replacing the engine seems reasonable in cost, anything Z specific I should look for to avoid a huge headache later?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Have never had a Z but always liked the looks of them. Finally decided to take the plunge and restore one.

Going to look at one later today, the ad says "280z complete needs restoration not running. Motor froze 600 obo." Talked to the guy and he says the body is straight with very little rust. Did some research, rebuilding or replacing the engine seems reasonable in cost, anything Z specific I should look for to avoid a huge headache later?

Thanks!

www.HybridZ.org

^^ This forum has all the answers you seek, make sure to use the search button pretty much all questions have been answered before so look threw carefully. Best of luck!

OK, what a day. Ended up driving 250 miles to look at two cars. Went to the first one (the one mentioned in the ad) Car looked complete, but what a mess. Here's some pics

RobinsPhone8192011008.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011010.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011004.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011011.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011014.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011012.jpg

Lots of work here. Didn't buy it, but told him to call me if the guy going tomorrow doesn't buy it. Body seemed very rough, right rear quarter had what looked like bondo cracking and coming apart. couldn't get a look under the car to look for rust or anything. However, if it doesn't sell tomorrow I might need to go back and try to get it for a parts car because...

I went and looked at another 76 that is basically body and frame. Here's some pics

RobinsPhone8192011028.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011031.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011029.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011025.jpg

RobinsPhone8192011020.jpg

This one is obviously missing almost everything, but the body looks free of rust and the seats and headliner are ok. has what looks like brand new tires on decent rims. Ended up buying this car for $350. There seem to be several Z's in my area that could serve as donor cars for this one (or maybe I just put the good body panels on a different car.) Not sure how I can go too wrong for $350, if nothing else the tires and rims are probably worth that.

Last thing, there is an 83 ZX for sale close to me that runs good but that needs a lot of body work and a new clutch. Sounds crazy I know, but could I strip the 83 to build the 76?