FWD Altima KA24DE timing cover swap from Frontier??

goonfan

So I picked up a KA from a 99 Altima, yeah kinda jumped the gun... Anyway I was planning to turbo it but now I'm planing to use carbs coupled with a L series dizzy and Frontier timing cover. Turns out that just might save my ass on this build so I've got some Q's after some hours on the net.

Anybody have a materials list I'll need to swap over to the Frontier front cover?

Will the FWD bolt pattern bolt to a L series tranny?

Input spline count going to work? I could probably answer this one now that I think about it.... Not positive though.

Any thing I'm not thinking of? Possibly have to block off the Altima coolant lines.

Any year Frontier with a KA will do right?

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of using the hardbody front cover on the single cam ka, with use of the l series distributor for carbed apps. Never heard anything about the dual cam version. The Altima is almost worthless as a donor for a rwd application. Your basically getting a short block, as thats about all you can use. The heads different between it and the rwd model, all the accessories like the alternator are mounted differently. The distributor is mounted to the back of the head, as the cam actually drives it, so you'll need to replace that. I do remember reading that the rwd tranny can be used, but I'm not 100% on that.

Will the FWD bolt pattern bolt to a L series tranny?

Thanks!

Yes it will bolt to the L transmission but the KA motor sits more vertical in the engine bay that the L series. So to line up with the tranny the KA will have to be rotated over to the right about 12 degrees. Not good, the motor mounts won't allow this and the intake may not allow clearance on that side. If you rotate the tranny the shifter will be sticking in your side and the tranny mount won't bolt up.

The Altima uses a CAS on the back of the head. This can be removed but you still need a distributor of some kind. The Frontier uses a dizzy drive and external oil pump similar to the earlier L and Z series and the KA-E used in the 240sx. I don't think this will bolt on to the Altima block. The oil pan is different and the Altima uses and internal crank oil pump.

The 200sx car dual cam motor uses a different head with a CAS driven out the front left side of it. Pssibly this head might fit the Altima block and give you a dizzy drive at the front?

Besides the dizzy being mounted to the head what else we be wing with it for what I plan to do? If I'm talking carb manifold and custom header I'm not seeing a problem. Of course there could be something else.

I've seen that the double row timing chain on the de won't fit under the e cover, I might be able to put the e's single row chain onto the de and use the de's upper with some grinding.

Yes it will bolt to the L transmission but the KA motor sits more vertical in the engine bay that the L series. So to line up with the tranny the KA will have to be rotated over to the right about 12 degrees. Not good, the motor mounts won't allow this and the intake may not allow clearance on that side. If you rotate the tranny the shifter will be sticking in your side and the tranny mount won't bolt up.

The Altima uses a CAS on the back of the head. This can be removed but you still need a distributor of some kind. The Frontier uses a dizzy drive and external oil pump similar to the earlier L and Z series and the KA-E used in the 240sx. I don't think this will bolt on to the Altima block. The oil pan is different and the Altima uses and internal crank oil pump.

Shiaaat. I've seen that but it was in a 240 so it wasn't an issue, I didn't think of that in a 510, that might kill it.

Snuck in there with some edits while I was replying...

I'm hoping to frankenstein the Frontier and Altima cover get the oiling and the dizzy from the Frontier. I'm guessing the oil gallies are the same on both blocks as I don't see Nissan, king of the parts bin, spending money on casting a new block. Could be wrong though.

I have thought of taking 2 covers and cutting them up and welding them back up in some kind of way that I could avoid a trip to a machinist.

So far I can only find gasket pics of the oil pans nothing that I can take a close look at and see if I can modify.

Heres some pics of front covers.

240sx KA24DE. I haven't mounted everythng yet, but alternator goes on left under intake, power steering top right, ac bottom right.

100_0048.jpg

Altima front

IMG_5569.jpg

frontier front(best I could find)

sckit.jpg

Hope this helps some.

Looked in a few JY's today but didn't find anything that I could tinker with. I'm thinking I'll try to weld up something custom if I can find the parts for cheap, if not I'll sell off this motor and pick up a KA24E/DE and go with the cheapest carb set up I can.