WTB Plastic Fan for L20B

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might measure and post the size you need. I'm remembering when I got a 620 L20B without fan, the 610 L20B fan I planned to use was a different size. I had to grab one the correct size one from P&S. I'm not sure about this, so maybe someone will confirm there are L20B different sizes. Also have a Z20E that is different from the two L20Bs (I think).

Len

You might measure and post the size you need. I'm remembering when I got a 620 L20B without fan, the 610 L20B fan I planned to use was a different size. I had to grab one the correct size one from P&S. I'm not sure about this, so maybe someone will confirm there are L20B different sizes. Also have a Z20E that is different from the two L20Bs (I think).

Len

L20B and Z series.

motorclutchfansLarge.jpg

I can see I never should have gotten into this thread. Way too confusing on a Sat. night! My '79 200SX L20B has a smaller hub than the Z20E fan, just like the pic datzenmike posted. But it has 8 blades, rather than the 7 in the pic. I think I ended up changing the water pump on the L20B that came (the seller said) from a 620, which is now in my '72 510. The fan on there is marked by me "610", and must have come from another L20B that I got from a 610. It also has 8 blades. It isn't easy to measure the bolt spacing on the fans when they are in the vehicle, so I won't, unless someone REALLY needs the info. I'll assume the hub size is the same as the L20B one datzenmike posted (although assuming anything to do with Datsuns is often a mistake).

But I'm not sure what water pump was on the alleged 620 engine that wouldn't take my "610" fan. Somewhere I have the pump, and maybe that will help clear this up, at least in my mind. However, the Z20E blades I have must not have fit that pump, or I would have used those blades. Unless there was a radiator clearance problem using it in the 510. Also, I have two Z20E fans. One came from the Z20E engine I have. The other MAYBE came from a late '70s 510 with L20B from P&S. I think I grabbed it thinking all L20B fans are the same size, got it home and it was wrong. So did the L20B at P&S have a Z20E pump and fan? Beats me! But maybe you can understand why I'm confused about fan sizes. And why I really wish I had at least one beer in the house!

Len

Len I like that: "although assuming anything to do with Datsuns is often a mistake"

I believe that most L20B pumps and clutch fans were the same. All the Z series pumps I've seen were always larger internally and had the larger clutch and different blades. If the L20B was fitted with the cooler option (this could be air con? or for use in warm climates? or maybe as a towing package?) they got a larger volume pump and the different blades. So it's possible you did get the different fan on an L20B you found.

L20B pump

Lenginewaterpump.jpg

Z series and possible optional L series high volume pump (note deeper pump cavity and larger vanes on the pump)

motorLwaterpump.jpg

L20Bs came with 7 and 8 blade fans on the same pump.

I found the water pump I swapped off from the 620 L20B. The distance between adjacent fan bolts is approx. 73mm or so. I did a blind-feel measure of the 610 fan and it seems to be larger distance - maybe 100mm (?). I'll get a real measurement tomorrow. datzenmike, or anyone that has an L20B fan to measure, I'd be curious what you find. My 200SX with the 8-blade fan has factory AC. The 610 the other blades came from didn't have AC, or it had been removed. I know I would have grabbed any AC bits had they been there. But of course the pump and fan on that car could have come from another Datsun.

My idea one of the Z20E size fans came from P&S isn't likely. No paint marks on either one. Really hard to check out of there without dabs of paint on the parts. So I have no idea where the second fan came from. I love a mystery.

Anyway, I'm still raising the possibility there may (or may not) be more than one size fan for L20Bs. At least the voices in my head keep insisting there are! LOL

Still wishing for a beer to dampen the confusion - Len

Does a Z22 water pump fit an L20B? I already have a fan in perfect condition to fit a Z22 water pump (it has a larger clutch/hub than the L20B)...maybe the Z22 pump would be an upgrade? [thanks DatzenMike for clarifying the difference]

DAW

Does a Z22 water pump fit an L20B? I already have a fan in perfect condition to fit a Z22 water pump (it has a larger clutch/hub than the L20B)...maybe the Z22 pump would be an upgrade? [thanks DatzenMike for clarifying the difference]

DAW

My Z20E is in a dark corner,and the pump is still bolted on, so it is hard to compare. So I went to the Autozone website:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1979-Nissan-Datsun-200SX/Water-Pump/_/N-imgq9Z93xmn

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1982-Nissan-Datsun-200SX/Water-Pump/_/N-il471Z93xmn

Seem to show same part # for '79 L20B and '82 2.2. But I thought the fan bolt spacing was different on the two engines, so I don't know if Autozone knows what they are doing. You might poke around on their site, or another parts site, and see if you can make sense of it.

It looks to me like the Z20 fan I have would stick out too far to fit my '72 L20B 510, or be super close to the radiator. If I'm looking at it right, the bolt holes are set back in the fan, so the fan sticks forward more than an L20B fan. However, I don't know what Datsun you are sticking this in. Maybe you have more room than I do. I'm wondering if you should post this as a question in the Engine category. I don't think too many people are seeing this thread here in Wanted.

Len

I looked at Rock Auto Parts listings and the pumps from the Z series and L series inline 4 cyl engines appear to be interchangeable as long as the matching fan size is used. One fan bolt circle is 5.25" and the other is 4". Applications depend on A/T or M/T, and A/C or not.

Mine is an '80 720 and there's plenty of room in front of the fan (lots more than on a 510).

I'm leaning on just replacing the water pump (I can get for $50 shipped) with one that uses the 5.25" type fan since I have a good one.

On the other hand, the vehicle doesn't have any overheating issues presently and a water pump with a bigger impeller/cavity capacity, a bigger clutch, and a bigger fan might just represent some parasitic drag that I'd prefer to be without, especially re mpg.

That is an issue that would be better addressed in the engine section. Some real data would be nice to see.

DAW

DAW

All L and Z pumps will physically interchange but there are some with and without the clutch fan. Yes the Z22 pump will fit the L20B but you will also have to use the Z22 fan.

On the other hand, the vehicle doesn't have any overheating issues presently and a water pump with a bigger impeller/cavity capacity, a bigger clutch, and a bigger fan might just represent some parasitic drag that I'd prefer to be without, especially re mpg.

DAW

A bigger clutch won't drag any more than a small one. They are designed such that fan speed cannot rise above 1,600 RPMs (no matter the engine speed) when the motor is cold or extra cooling isn't needed. The clutch senses the rad air blowing on it and if the temperature rises too high it provides more internal friction and the fan speed can increase to a maximum of 2,300 RPMs to move more air. That's it.

I have a '74 610 fan, L20b with clutch equipped WP, 7 blade plastic with molded

in steel center. The center hole dia is 90 mm. There are 4 mounting bolt holes on

a 104 mm circle.

The water pump and fan look like the ones on the left in datzenmike's photo.

Condition is pretty damned nice, see photo here. Shipping cost is TBD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.