Brake Booster Swapping

hawaii_620

Do bigger diameter brake booster require more vacuum than smaller booster?

For example: A stock 620 booster is 6" in diameter vs D21 Hard body booster which is somewhere near 8.75". Would a stock L20B create enough vacuum to use the bigger booster? Or is this a non issue, meaning the only issue would be finding a way to get it in there?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do bigger diameter brake booster require more vacuum than smaller booster?

Would a stock L20B create enough vacuum to use the bigger booster?

Or is this a non issue, meaning the only issue would be finding a way to get it in there?

No

Yes

Yes, yes use the hose.

All engines create about the same amount of vacuum. Even a lawnmower. The amount is limited by the pressure of the atmosphere, not the size of the engine.

The larger booster doesn't use more vacuum, but instead applies it against a larger diaphragm, so it achieves more force per square inch.

The problem with larger is they are usually larger diameter too. This brings it in contact with the clutch master and the steering column just below it. The 720 uses a pedestal to hold the booster out from the firewall for more clearance. This will bring it in contact with the L20B air filter.

I was looking at that clearance with the intake. I figured the wheel well could be dented with a hammer to make a little more space. I'd have to probably more the Clutch MC over a bit.

So be for I possibly attempt this, has this been already attempted before without desired results? I'd hate to walk a path that is known to be a dead end.

I've read the Beebani had made his 720 booster fit his 620 by denting the wheel well and making a custom length pedestal. But I don't know how tight the fit was in conjunction with the steering column, Clutch MC, and Intake. Hey Beebani, if you have any pictures of your setup I'd like to see them.