510 521 and 620 Voltage Regulators

69dime

I have a pile of external voltage regulators. I read that the original (non-IC) type had points that could be adjusted to fix them. Can anyone tell me how to fix or test these, or if they want some of them cheap? Or do I throw them away? They cost $30/ea new at O'Reilly's.

I have one I pulled from a 620 in a junkyard (I don't have a 620). It has an inline fuse. Does that not work on a 510 or 521? If that's not the case, does anyone want to buy it? I also have another that looks identical that came with other parts.

Are they interchangeable between 510 and 521? 620? The 620 looks different.

I also have one of the slim style circuitboard/IC type with a Napa part number that matches the 521.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have varying wire connectors, but otherwise they can interchange. It just regulates voltage.

They are adjustable. But if the points are burnt, adjusting won't fix it. They last a long time, mine is 40 years old and still going. But like points in your distributor they do burn out.

If it still works, no reason to change them. Keep them for a spare.

You can take the cover off and look at the points. All the ones I've looked at looked new. you can adjust them to make your headlights brighter but as far as I've read nobody does that. Great idea for A project and write up for someone to do. Some suggest buying the solid state rather than the point type. I prefer the points type. As far as interchange you can click on the also fits tab on oriellyauto.com when looking at the part. Here is how to adjust in the 521 body and chassis pdf.

http://www.olddatsuns.com//620tech.htm