300zx 5 speed parts questions.

So I pulled the 5 speed from a 92 300ZX, but run out of time before getting the clutch and flywheel.

For about $50(figuring entry fee and gas) I can get the cluch and flywheel off the car tomorrow from Pick'n'Pull.

The flywheel is about $20 and the clutch and pressure plate are another $20 or so.

I'm figuring I should go get them, but I'm also curious if, since I'm going to be mating it to a VH45DE, if I should bother with an unknown clutch.

Also, are lightened flywheels worth it in a non-race car?

What are some good, economic clutch companies?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flywheels store energy as spinning momentum. This is used to help overcome a stopped vehicle's inertia and get it moving. The problem is that the rest of the time it isn't really needed. The energy used to spin the flywheel could better be used to move the car. Now in a race car that seldom stops you hardly need a flywheel or can get away with a very light one but for a DD with lots of stop and go you shouldn't lighten it that much if at all.

So I pulled the 5 speed from a 92 300ZX, but run out of time before getting the clutch and flywheel.

Geeez an FS5W30A Z32 5 speed? They are reputed to be able to handle 600+ hp

Flywheels store energy as spinning momentum. This is used to help overcome a stopped vehicle's inertia and get it moving. The problem is that the rest of the time it isn't really needed. The energy used to spin the flywheel could better be used to move the car. Now in a race car that seldom stops you hardly need a flywheel or can get away with a very light one but for a DD with lots of stop and go you shouldn't lighten it that much if at all.

I believe I've heard a similar line. Something about a car becoming a pain in the ass to get off the line after lightening up too many things.

Thank you for the additional knowledge. Any opinion on the clutch itself? Any way to tell if it's worthless or not?

This Datsun in my first manual transmission so I'm sort of learning as I'm going.

If clean and the disc is a tan color, the flywheel and PP surfaces smooth and clean I'd take a chance. If burnt looking, dark perhaps with gouges in the PP and flywheel or cracks or obvious hot spots I wouldn't.

Well you usually get what you pay for. It has to handle what 300hp???

About 300 horse, 330 torque. That ACT clutch kit, minus the flywheel, is about $430 on SummitRacing.

I found this review of the ACT clutches. Seems like they're a good mid-level clutch, and the HDSS seems to be the upper end of street clutches.

http://www.coximport.com/act/