more work ka to sr

FiveTenzo

sorry to ask this cus i know the answer is somewhere but ive reed so much and just tired of it.

I have everything set up already to put a KA24de in my 510, but i have a chance to get a sr20det at a really good price and was wondering what else would be needed to put the sr20 in? besides a roll cage, brakes, making the rear end except 3 or 2.5 exhaust, radiator

Ive reed but not sure about....

-Center steering link hiiting?

-turbo manifold hiiting steering box and needing to use a top mount manifold?

-would it be possible to use the stock r160 diff? even with a ka24

-custom innercooler pipping? (ill probebly end up using one of those small 10x10 inner coolers)

-i was guna use stock 510 motor mounts for the ka so the engine sits lower and handles better, would stock ones work for a sr?(im thinking yes)

Or any other things?

thanks in advance

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to ask this cus i know the answer is somewhere but ive reed so much and just tired of it.

I have everything set up already to put a KA24de in my 510, but i have a chance to get a sr20det at a really good price and was wondering what else would be needed to put the sr20 in? besides a roll cage, brakes, making the rear end except 3 or 2.5 exhaust, radiator

-custom innercooler pipping? (ill probebly end up using one of those small 10x10 inner coolers)

-i was guna use stock 510 motor mounts for the ka so the engine sits lower and handles better, would stock ones work for a sr?(im thinking yes)

Or any other things?

thanks in advance

I was on the same boat as you 3-4years ago. Save yourself the headache. SR have been done so popping the hood to show it off is only a fraction of the coolness of having a running 510 on the road. My suggestion is put the ka in and get her back on the road unless you have a nice budget to throw down on SR.

You do not need a roll cage unless you drive like a maniac or you are looking for extra safety. I will be running mine later on down the road. Brakes should be done for either motor, if you are running stock 510 brakes get ready for an accident. You can run a 3" or 2.5" exhaust on SR if you plan to mod the SR then shoot for the 3". The radiator is going to be different because the upper neck is on a different side than the KA.

Shouldnt hit if you are running 620 motor mounts.

You can run a top mount or a more forward mounted bottom mount like on mine.

No, both engines will kill it when you are hard on it. You can drive it if you are easy on it with both motors.

Depends on the intercooler you want to run, most people run a too large of an intercooler.

No, you will hit the center link, this is why you should run 620 motor mounts.

I would say do what you want with your 510, if you ultimately want a SR then do it. Sure it might set you back a few days, months, etc... But if you really want it and you can afford it then why not.

• Like 1

Wait a minute, what the heck does a roll cage, rear end, brakes. and radiator have to do with an SR?????

Ask yourself this, do you have a shit-ton of extra money and time? Because the SR will cost more, and take longer, than you think it will. Initial purchase price of an engine usually equates to about half the total installed figure.

Making all the turbo plumbing is a *LOT* of work. Just the turbo plumbing for the intake and exhaust by itself is as much work as the entire KA24DE swap.

If you already have the KA24DE parts, just put it in. You'll be surprised at how good it is. Plus, you can go to any auto parts store and buy anything you need, cheap. Can't do that with the SR.