Steering box Oil Leaking need advice

So I called parts stores and looked online but I can't find a replacement seal for the Steering Box for my "79 620. I heard it is no longer made. My steering box is leaking quite a bit and I want to close up the leak.

So what are some suggestions on how to do this and if there is a replacement part where do I go to buy it?

Thanks for the help.

Oh I noticed my steering is sloppy so I was hoping this might help but also if anyone has advice on how to fix the slop I would appreciate it. I plan on replacing bushings will that help?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which seal are you talking about, I just rebuilt my entire steering box with new bearings, seals, and gaskets. Took forever to locate the parts.

The one that is NLA from Nissan is size 24x35x8...

No one on earth makes that damn size anymore so I just went with a 7mm deep seal instead of the 8mm, just dont press it in all the way, that is, I went to a local bearing / seal supplier and ordered a 24mm ID x 35mm OD x 7mm Depth oil seal.

All that really matters is the ID and OD, as they are what holds the oil/grease from escaping.

LONG STORY SHORT lol...

just figure out the ID, OD, and Depth you need. Then just go to a bearing / seal shop and order it up!

So I called parts stores and looked online but I can't find a replacement seal for the Steering Box for my "79 620. I heard it is no longer made. My steering box is leaking quite a bit and I want to close up the leak.

So what are some suggestions on how to do this and if there is a replacement part where do I go to buy it?

Thanks for the help.

Oh I noticed my steering is sloppy so I was hoping this might help but also if anyone has advice on how to fix the slop I would appreciate it. I plan on replacing bushings will that help?

I'm not as familiar with the 620 boxes, but in general terms the next best place to go hunting for "discontinued" or hard to find orings, seals, etc., is a good hydraulics, bearing, or tractor supply house. Our trucks are OLD~ so make friends with a salesman there and he'll likely find you pretty much anything you need along those lines.

Maybe the worn box took the seal out...? Or vice versa...

620 sector shaft seal is 48137 36700 about $4 at dealer if available.

Also used on the non power steering '80-'83 S110 200sx, '79-'81 A10 (HL510), '78-'80 810 same part number and newer and may be still available.