Hot San Jose Nights July 6-10

Yesterday on the way home from Sunnyvale my car started bucking and spitting fuel from the tailpipe. I don't know if it's plug, coilpacks, TPS, MAF or what and until I get my house I have no place to work on it or tools to do it with so I had to bring it to a shop for diagnostic. I sure hope they find it or I'm grounded. At least one guy there seemed to know what an SR was so there is hope.

That sucks! I hope they know what they are doing. GL

Did you check all your harnesses, the TPS wouldn't make it buck from what I know. it may be a loose intercooler coupler? (One time on the freeway going 70mhp my car suddenly bogged and sputtered, after I got off the freeway, opened up the hood and sure enough a coupler had pushed off the pipe, luckily I carry a a set of screw drivers and wrenches to put it back in place) but then again your car will never spit fuel in liquid form was it maybe thick black smoke?

You can start by checking all your plumbing , check for loose harnesses, inspect your plugs for any fouling and replace them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks! I hope they know what they are doing. GL

Did you check all your harnesses, the TPS wouldn't make it buck from what I know. it may be a loose intercooler coupler? (One time on the freeway going 70mhp my car suddenly bogged and sputtered, after I got off the freeway, opened up the hood and sure enough a coupler had pushed off the pipe, luckily I carry a a set of screw drivers and wrenches to put it back in place) but then again your car will never spit fuel in liquid form was it maybe thick black smoke?

You can start by checking all your plumbing , check for loose harnesses, inspect your plugs for any fouling and replace them.

I had a coupler come lose before, it's not that as it actualy improves under boost. And no not fuel in the pour it out sense but more of a white mist that smelled like raw fuel as if not all plugs fired and the air/fuel mixture was just passing through to the exhaust. Also the idle would drop down to about 500 (normaly 1500 (and yes I know it's high but it's an open BOV) Didn't check harness but it was fine this morning and I didn't do a damn thing since I parked it tyesterday. Now they can't reproduce it but it has done this 3 seperate occasions usualy when it was hot out. One tech thinks it may be the coolant temp that goes to the ECU. Says if that reads too high it goes open and the comp thinks motor is cold and retards it and runs rich. I dunno, I still need to install my stereo before Friday too. I am running out of time. Thanks for the ideas.

Got a call from Susan one of the coordinators tday...i hope shes mistaken but she said SR20DETdatsun510 and myself are the only ones registered under club name "ratsun" she was very busy..so im hoping it was a mistake...she said if we drive in together..they will put us all together anyways..so no worries..i sure hope you work out your engine prob saint!

also..for the friday nite drive ins ..the weather will be nice enuf to chill on lawn chairs outside the dimes...we have a boom box..so no biggie on the sterio either bro..just bring chairs..unless of course you wanna chill in your car...thats cool too!

dont forget the cruise leaves the fairgrounds at 545 sharp on friday towards the drive-ins..i think it would be cool to cruise together...with you leading the way saint...

what do you all think??

• Like 1

I had a coupler come lose before, it's not that as it actualy improves under boost. And no not fuel in the pour it out sense but more of a white mist that smelled like raw fuel as if not all plugs fired and the air/fuel mixture was just passing through to the exhaust. Also the idle would drop down to about 500 (normaly 1500 (and yes I know it's high but it's an open BOV) Didn't check harness but it was fine this morning and I didn't do a damn thing since I parked it tyesterday. Now they can't reproduce it but it has done this 3 seperate occasions usualy when it was hot out. One tech thinks it may be the coolant temp that goes to the ECU. Says if that reads too high it goes open and the comp thinks motor is cold and retards it and runs rich. I dunno, I still need to install my stereo before Friday too. I am running out of time. Thanks for the ideas.

Its sounding worse than I initially thought. Rich will give you black smoke and will even spit out black tar out your tail pipe.

U have a more serious problem buddy. white smoke = blown turbo seals, blown headgasket, burnt valves, bent valves, bad pistion rings.

I suggest check the obvious first oil, coolant. What to look for milky/sludgy oil at the oil cap, oil in the rad or u can start it up and see if air is coming up the radiator cap.

Still no signs?

Do a compression test and a leak down test.

Again Good Luck.

PM if u got any questions

Got a call from Susan one of the coordinators tday...i hope shes mistaken but she said SR20DETdatsun510 and myself are the only ones registered under club name "ratsun" she was very busy..so im hoping it was a mistake...she said if we drive in together..they will put us all together anyways..so no worries..i sure hope you work out your engine prob saint!

what do you all think??

What time are u guys thinking to show up on Saturday? I am faxing my registration tomorrow morning. So count me in!

Its sounding worse than I initially thought. Rich will give you black smoke and will even spit out black tar out your tail pipe.

U have a more serious problem buddy. white smoke = blown turbo seals, blown headgasket, burnt valves, bent valves, bad pistion rings.

I suggest check the obvious first oil, coolant. What to look for milky/sludgy oil at the oil cap, oil in the rad or u can start it up and see if air is coming up the radiator cap.

Still no signs?

Do a compression test and a leak down test.

Again Good Luck.

PM if u got any questions

The weird thing is it is completely intermitent and runs better once the turbo spools up. When I say intermitent it will happen weeks apart. When it's running right it's fast as a bat with it's balls on fire. Seems to happen on hot days. Oil and coolant all look fine. I think the theory he is working on right now is that the temp sensor that goes to the ECU may be going open which makes the car think it's dead cold and so it adjusts the fuel map to that. it only has an effect when at idle or the trottle is just a hair open. If I go from vacuum to boost the car imediatly responds and runs like a champ. Hell if it is the turbo I will just buy the GT2871R I was planning on getting in a few months. Always nice to have an excuse for that. Plus it's alot easier to tell the fiancee I need to buy a new turbo because the old one is shot than to tell her it's because stupid fast is not fast enough. And I would be happy to lead the way. that way you all will be able to help push when I die =P

p.s. I will email them to check but the debit charge shows pending as of yesterday. I did have somebody else mail in the reg so maybe it got delayed but they do have it.

What time are u guys thinking to show up on Saturday? I am faxing my registration tomorrow morning. So count me in!

They say we can start after 7am..so im thinking 730...8...what ya think every1?

They say we can start after 7am..so im thinking 730...8...what ya think every1?

One thing I learned from the last few shows is that if you don't get there early you get crappy location. at a 2 day show I got there late the 1st day and was out in the boonies and had next to no attention, but the 2nd day I got there early and I got a great spot and a LOT of attention. So I suggest we get there as early as everybody can drag themselves out of bed. And since it seems we have just a few of us we better make sure we are all together.

• Like 1

One thing I learned from the last few shows is that if you don't get there early you get crappy location. at a 2 day show I got there late the 1st day and was out in the boonies and had next to no attention, but the 2nd day I got there early and I got a great spot and a LOT of attention. So I suggest we get there as early as everybody can drag themselves out of bed. And since it seems we have just a few of us we better make sure we are all together.

+1

I agree, I know it is going to be a LONG day but arriving any time after 7am is reducing our exposure. In an already huge sea of american muscle, we don't want to be pushed aside!! :cool:

+1

I agree, I know it is going to be a LONG day but arriving any time after 7am is reducing our exposure. In an already huge sea of american muscle, we don't want to be pushed aside!! :cool:

+2

We will be flexing forced induction Jap muscle!:lol:

We should have some breakfast or something? Like at a Denny's around 5:30 and then to San Jo from there.

What do you guys think??

• Like 1

+1

Johnny...can you do your map thing on tully road...pick a meeting spot near the fair grounds..and circle it so we all know where to meet?

I suggest somewhere on 7th,10th,..or old tully road..at 6-630am...what do you think?

E X C I T E D !!!!!!! :frantics:

OW..what about the drive - ins.. the cruise leaves the fairgrounds at 545pm ...ill be at the fair grounds at 5 sharp tomorrow after work!! lets swap #s everyone to coorespond thru text if need be...

It's all here: http://www.hotsanjosenights.com/

But here is a map where we will meet..... http://www.hotsanjos...fairgrounds.pdf

Registered Participants can drive into the Fairgrounds and get lined up for the cruise to Capitol 6 Drive-In.

HSJNmap.jpg

The cruise starts at the Fairgrounds and leaves at 5:45 pm sharp!

- We will head down Monterey Road towards downtown San Jose.

- We will circle the Plaza de Cesar Chavez in front of the Fairmont Hotel, and then head back down Monterey Road toward the Capitol 6 Drive-In.

- We will pass Capitol Expressway and turn right onto Skyway and then turn right onto Snell.

- Then we will cross Capitol Expressway and be able to drive right into the Drive-In.