Wipers running

Trying to clean up some wiring on my 521. The previous owner installed a newer blade fuse box, the The Lg wire and Blue/Red wiring are running to the fuse box. If I provide power to the box they wipers run at the slowest speed. Even with the switch in the off position. Pull the switch to the on/slow and it speeds up, pull to the on/fast position and it doesn't change speed. Unplug the wiper switch and the wipers go to the on/fastest speed.

Any ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have a wiring diagram? if not, find out what colors are on the wiper motor and go from there. it sounds like they have the wiring screwed up, and this is probably not the only thing they scewed up...I would recommend getting some wiring diagrams, because you may have more than the wipers to sort out.

The other possibility is that there is a short in the wiring, something is mis-wired, or a bad switch and it burned down the factory fuse block...if that is the case, it would explain why they tried to put a new fuse box in. Either way, you are going to need some patience and a wiring diagram, cause I am betting there is more going on than a mis wired fuse box, because the fuse panel should not be responsible for turning the wipers on, only providing fused power to the wiper switch and motor. Hard to say what else they butchered.

yeah the wiring is interesting. I've got a new under dash wiring installed and a new engine room wiring is on the way. Lucking I got my hands on a wiring diagram, but it's still a little foriegn. He has the Lt Green and the Blue/Red wires to the fuse box. Is 521 set up to where everything gets power and the ground turns things on and off, or is it the other way around?

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Seems like right now in the off position it get's low ground, and in the slow/fast and wiring disconnected it's getting High ground. Not sure why though. Need to get my hands on a stock fuse box or rewire the fuse think he put in. Has spots for 6 fuses