Vg-tranny

kmc63

So which transmission would be the best for durability,not racing and dont care about close ratio.Just want one thats durable and dosent cost a bazillion dollars to re-build. Mine is starting to make bearing noise,think its a t-5.OOps did'nt think about putting this in the drivetrain thread.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The VG T-5s are usually replaced with the FS5W71C from the normaly aspirated 300zx. You will need the drive shaft, (for the spline) and the clutch disc. I believe the T-5 uses a different spline on it too. The FS5W71C is able to support 300+ HP. If you want tough, I mean TOUGH, the later 300zx turbo after Oct. '86 uses an FS5R30A 5speed good for twice that.

Thanks Mike,good info. I need to get under there and check the numbers,I am aware it could make that bearing noise and be fine for another 60,000 miles,but then again it could decide to grenade on me at anytime.Thanks again. :)

I doubt it's a T-5. They are huge and the tunnel would need to be cut and widened. There are better options.

Here are some oics of the T-5.

Viewed from above. The T-5 is a 'top loader'

FS5R90ABorgWarnerT-582280zx-1.jpg

FS5W71B (the C would look similar maybe a few inches longer) and the Borg Warner FS5R90A T-5 on the right.

BorgWarner4-1.jpg

BorgWarnerZXT-5.jpg

FC5W71C for VG (non turbo) motor

transFS5W71Cnonturbo84-88Z31.jpg

FS5R30A for turbo VG30 (300zx) Z31

FS5R30AZ31001.jpg

FS5R30A for 300zx Z32 (same internals)

FS5R30AZ32007Large.jpg