alternator wiring identify/ install

ok. so now on to the charging system. the car came with a delco remy alternator. so i took it to autozone to get it tested and it passes. there are no wires hooked up the unit. so now im wondering how the engine harness connects to the alternator. i searched looked in the fsm, & im not fluent in wiring diagrams unless they are really dumb down.

as always i took some pics to help you help me.

this is the remy alt. i got the harness from auto zone, i was wondering where the red wire and white wire connect to.

eb3bffcb.jpg

here is the engine harness. im sure all the wires that are needed are here, but i dont know what goes to what.

d74ce192.jpg

so my question is what factory wires go to the alternator & how to i connect them to this alternator?

i looked at the "gm alternator install" but that doesnt tell me what wires need to connect to what (specifically) especially because i cannot identify the factory wires lol.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a datsun alt w know how to do it

Chevy just connect red wire to coil+

when i bought the car, it only had one wire going to the alternator. i think its called the "one wire scheme". where you run a 12v from the battery to the alternator and it charges the whole car. idk if it work, but if i got all the stock wires there id rather do that. has any one heard of one wire thing? does it work?

The GM one wire alternator does work, but not very good. I have this setup on a tractor that was converted from six volt positive ground to twelve volt negative ground. It does not charge, until the engine is revved a little.

On the GM "one wire" setup, hooking a light up to one of the alternator terminals, causes the alternator to start charging immediately. You can figure what terminal is for the charge light by taking a test light, clipping the wire lead on the big positive post of the alternator, and touching the terminals on the alternator. If you have the right terminal, and the alternator is turning, but not charging, touching the terminal on the alternator will cause the test light to briefly flash, and then the alternator starts charging.

The other terminal on the alternator, "senses" the voltage remotely of the alternator. It connects to switched power, and the internal regulator regulated to the voltage at that point.

Nissan alternators are easy. The terminals are labeled "L" for light, and "S" for Sense.