No dash lights

Hey guys-

I've been having a tough time figuring out why there are no dash lights in my 79 620. All running lights work but there are no lights in the dash/heater controls/wiper knob.

Both the green/blue (pin 4) and green/black (pin 2) at the gauge cluster 12 pin plug have power and the blubs in the gauge cluster look good too. The green/blue wire leaving the headlight switch is good as well.

The stock tach or clock was removed and replaced with an auto gauge unit so the 6 pin plug has been abandoned. I see there are a few wires that jump over to the gauge cluster. Would they have any effect on the illumination of the entire dash?

Let me know what you think, thanks!!

PS-What function does the black wire/cable coming out of the rear of the headlight switch serve? I think I saw one on the wiper switch too iirc

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn the dash illumination knob fully to the right.

PS-What function does the black wire/cable coming out of the rear of the headlight switch serve? I think I saw one on the wiper switch too iirc

Likely it's a fiber-optic cable that channels light from a common bulb source to the two switch knobs. (the bulb could be burned out)

Hey guys-

Both the green/blue (pin 4) and green/black (pin 2) at the gauge cluster 12 pin plug have power and the blubs in the gauge cluster look good too. The green/blue wire leaving the headlight switch is good as well.

The green/blue wire is the power wire, so now you need to find the ground to the guage cluster and verify 12 volts between the two.

I would start by replacing the bulbs with a known good bulb first, not one that just looks good.

Interesting about the cable. It moves in and out with the knob

The black cable is supposed to slide in and out, it is a fiber-optic cable. Follow it to the little round metal cylinder usually mounted below the wiper switch. This cylinder contains one bulb that lights up both the wiper switch and the headlight switch via the fiber-optic cable.