WTB - 240z 4-Speed Tranny

Looking for a replacement 4-speed for my '71 240. The transmission shop said it couldn't source the parts to rebuild mine. Does anyone have one for sale that has been rebuilt or has low miles on it and is solid? My case is the 2 piece style with 9434 on the tail. Any info. would be great.

Thanks, guys!

C

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a really good 4 speed from my wifes 260z. her trans shifted very smooth and was really quiet. not sure if it is what you want. we swapped to a 5 speed. pm me if interested....

Hi,

Does it happen to be the 3-piece transmission? (bell housing, medium piece center section and tail w/shifter) Apparently mine is 3-piece and not a 2-piece. I'd like to keep my Z as original as possible.

Thank you!

It's commendable to try to keep everything original but it can get VERY expensive. The 3 piece FS5C71A is an old Roadster unit with an L bolt pattern bell. (quite rare as they are highly sought after for competition racing. Many parts for them are now unobtainable) The later F4W71B 4 speed is more common and used from '73 through '79, FS5W71B 5 speeds from '77 through '83 and the 620 truck and Maxima 5 speed is the same. So there are lots out there and with a variety of ratios.

It's commendable to try to keep everything original but it can get VERY expensive. The 3 piece FS5C71A is an old Roadster unit with an L bolt pattern bell. (quite rare as they are highly sought after for competition racing. Many parts for them are now unobtainable) The later F4W71B 4 speed is more common and used from '73 through '79, FS5W71B 5 speeds from '77 through '83 and the 620 truck and Maxima 5 speed is the same. So there are lots out there and with a variety of ratios.

Thank you for the info., as I was unaware that my tranny was an old Roadster unit with an L bell. I'd like to be able to rebuild it, but can's source couplers and now I know why. If anyone has a parts source I'd be very interested in knowing about it. Once I've exhausted the rebuild route then I'll move on to a 5 speed swap.

Thanks guys!

C

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.