Coladylan's 1982 Datsun 720 4x4

coladylan

My old 720 had the no rubber issue, water/steam would flow up thru there when i was wheeling. Its ghetto, but i just found a rubber floor mat. Cut it into an oval shape, then a hole in the center. Slid it down over the shifter, and put the carpet back on top of it. Never had an issue after that. Was a freebie too, didn't pay 50 bucks :D

So you just let it slide around under the carpet? or did you make a slit where the lever slid back and forth through?

your truck looks like you have a lot of fun with it

And yes it does everything I have asked it haha... with a few more mods, itll be as good as any toyota...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i made a little slit. with the weight of the carpet it didn't really move form what i saw. I put it long ways front to back. Maybe you could do side to side and wedge the rubber under bolt for the seat lol... It was in my 85, and really that was just a wheeling rig.

• 2 weeks later...

hello this is my first post on here but I am a 720 datsun nut well pretty much any datsun... anyhow where in the world did you get that front tube bumper? is it for another truck? i like the bumper...I made my rear bumper i see if I can put on pics......

I designed the bumper for the most part and had a friend fabricate it. So it was made custom for my 720, and bolted it where the skid plate went and used the bumper brackets as top stabilizers.

• 6 months later...

Alright, Im back on my thread. Ive posted several topics that have to do with my truck separate, but not anymore. They are all going to be here.

SOOO, to start it off again...

Does anyone know of a way to get pre runner or baja style fender flares for the 720? Or anyone that knows how to make a custom mold?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess there is no such thing as baja fenders... too bad.

Next up is mufflers. I have a 2" straight pipe with like and 18" cherry bomb on it. I put the exhaust on when I first got the pickup, but my tastes have changed. I no longer want an always loud exhaust. What I want is an exhaust system that will sound low and growly as possible for the little Z22. Granted when i put it to the floor a nice sound would be good. I love the flowmaster sound and I want to keep it pretty mild. So how would a super 50 work? or even the 70 series big block, or the 50 series big block? Would there be any problems with putting these mufflers designed for bigger engines with the Z22? The inlet and outlet sizes are larger than 2", but I could get adapters that go from 2" to bigger, and the bigger back down to 2".

Thoughts and suggestions would be great.

• 3 months later...

resurrecting an old thread... but I have a flowmaster on mine(think 40 series?) and its not quiet by any means.... I also have headers and no cat though so maybe that makes a difference... but its very loud and "ratty" sounding.

Love what youve done with your truck though bro, shes a bueat.

ratty sound? Like import ricer or better them that? I also want to do an exhaust. Not a big fan of cherry bombs, had flowmaster40 on my expedition and loved it. But I'm short about 3.2L to expect that kinda result.

Check my thread with pictures of the rebuilt motor.... I just took a vid of a start up (right after getting it together) and also of the exhaust tone...

I had the same 40 series on my 4.3 '98 Blazer 4x4 and it was throaty and beastly sounding...honestly sounds completely different on my datsun.