Double flaring stock brake tubing? PITA

Hoosier77

Anyone ever had trouble flaring the stock brake line on a 620? I have used double flaring tools before with no problem. It seems as though this type of brake line is hard as a rock, I have chucked it up in 2 different double flaring tools and tightened them all to hell, the line slips everytime!!!!!!!!!! I swear I tightened the shit up with a breaker bar, it will not get any tighter!!!!!!! I cannot flare the first flare. WTF? Any help or experience?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this vid awhile back. It might help.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17033-brake-tube-flaring/

It sounds like the tubing is slipping in the holder? Maybe you can clamp it tighter with some vise-grips....kinda like I use the vise to do in the vid. If that doesn't work, you might just consider buying new line....it doesn't cost much.

I used a big bar to tighten the holder, if i were to get the molecules of the holder any closer together then it would be welded!!! i tightened it up so much I was in risk of stripping the threads! Has anyone ever flared the stock lines before? I have flared brake lines many times but never had this much trouble, I used two different tool sets. Is the stock line wall thickness a lot more than after market? WTF!!!

Flaring old brakes lines is almost always harder than flaring new brakes lines, not sure why, but i have had the same problems. It can be done though. Might try stightly warming up the brake line to soften it just a little? Maybe. At the same time that might just make it slip in the tool that much easier.

Good luck, old lines suck.