80 510 naps-z battery not charging but alternator putting out charge

a10 wagon

my battery keeps dying becaue its not getting power from the alternator but the alternator is putting out over 15 volts.i took it to the auto parts store to have them test it and they said it was my alternator.but the alternator is putting out power. so is over 15 volts to much voltage or is there some fuseable links between there.does anyone have the wiring digram for a z20s in an 80 510.thanks to all that help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean both battery terminals and the negative terminal where it bolts to the head, and the positive cable where it bolts to the starter.

If the battery dies over night you may have a draw that drains it. Charge the battery and disconnect the cable over night. Try it in the morning. If dead the battery isn't holding a charge. If the car starts and works normally you have a parasitic draw that needs to be found and eliminated.

I got a car once that did this. The previous owner had the horns stick on so he just pulled the wires off them. The problem was that the relay was still on and would drain the battery over night. You may have an AMP that is on all the time. Brake lights on all the time?