Need transmission lesson

hitch

I've always wondered these things about manuals, so thought I'd ask.

Why does it grind if started and immediately attempt to shift lever into reverse, but if I 1st put the lever in a forward gear, it will then easily go into reverse? This method must stop the shaft from spinning, allowing easier reverse gear engagment. All while still parked.

Why is it easier to shift into 1st, if I place gear shift into 2nd just before going into 1st, say at a light. I've seen this with new transmissions, not just the old used up stuff on my Datsuns.

My father always said to not skip gears and always shift up through and down through each one, even if the clutch pedal is depressed and the drive line not engaged, like coasting up to a traffic light.

This is the trans in my 720, and I know it is warn, but I've experienced this with many other cars new and old.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, the counter shaft is spinning and it takes a short while to stop spinning. Reverse does not have a synchromesh on it so the gears have to be stopped completely. First hard to get into? Perhaps it has the most wear on it? I've noticed that too. As far as skipping gears I skip them all the time. Perhaps your father learned that from his father and him from his father back when leather was used for clutches and there were no synchro rings.

Thanks Mike, you confirmed what I was thnking, but figured you would answer with proper terms and an explaination.

I always trusted my Pop's advice and it has served me well over the years. His background, Ford tractor shop through HS, Allison aircraft engine mechanic in WWII and never paid anyone to do something that he could do himself. I think I like Ratsun just because most of us are old school and remind me of my father.