two strange electrical gremlins...

Hello folks, i have 2 electrical issues and i thought i'd post to see if anyone else experienced this.

69 521

#1: horn on all the time. Circuit is fine from steering column to relay, install the steering wheel, all is good. Until you install the button. I cant see how the hell its making contact! Futher diagnosis is still being done, but was wondering if its happened to anyone else. Stock wheel.

#2 headlight switch?? Pull switch to half way, all 4 parking lights on, pull switch all the way out, parking lights shut off...headlights come on. wtf

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your light switch is actually two independent switches, with two isolated circuits, each with a separate fuse.

The parking lights are supposed to stay on when the headlights are turned on. Could be a build up of dirt in 40 year old switch?

The horn sounds when the wire going to the steering column is connected to ground. The spring just holds metal contacts away from making this connection. If one or more of the plastic pieces that the spring pushes against is broken, or damaged, the connection is made, and the horn sounds.

Update on the lighting situation. Switch is perfect now, perfectly clean, pulled bulbs out of turn signals, as they are horridly crusty and can no longer ground themselves without 'circuit hunting' and grounding thru a incorrect path. I used a test light on the positive 'lugs' inside the bulb socket.

Half-pull=all 4 'parking' lights on. Blinker functions normally.

Full pull= front parking lights turn off, rear remain on, blinker functions normally.

I have heard that many 60's vehicles were designed to disengage the front park lights to conserve power with the limited batteries and alternators of the day. All circuitry is stock, unmessed with, theres no corrosion, as the fusebox has already undergone the 'vinegar bath'.

Is it possible that early 521's disengage the front park lights with headlights on??? Especially with a J13?