Alright, here is my new RX-7. I just got it back on the road. It used to belong to a friend of mine. But he wrecked it and was going to scrap it, but I convinced him to sell it to me. So I stripped off the damage, found new parts, welded the new rocker and, put it back together, and now I'm dailying it so I can get the 510 back into storage until I have the money, time, and means to treat it right.

So far, I'm super impressed with this car (except the mileage).

I'm a little lacking on pictures because most of the pictures taken during the rebuild were on my friends camera. I will add these when I get them.

Here's some pics my friend took when he first got new wheels:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's a couple from today:

DSC02507.jpg

DSC02510.jpg

DSC025042.jpg

Alright, took some more pics today:

DSC02512.jpg

DSC02513.jpg

DSC02515.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02520.jpg

You can see my custom orange ARB in this oic, good 'ol Chevy orange on a stock part. Alright.

DSC02523.jpg

Engine Pics, she's bone stock right now except having the AC removed:

DSC02530.jpg

DSC02537.jpg

The only mod I've done so far, an FC fuse box, to get rid of the damn fusible links:

DSC02533.jpg

Interior, clean and complete, just need to figure out how to make the 81 door work with the 85 door card (I'm probably gonna throw a chunk of bagging film down and secure it with chromate tape under the door card., that looks quite similar to what they did in Hiroshima):

DSC02544.jpg

DSC02543.jpg

Next to the 510:

DSC02529.jpg

It's reflection in the 510 (clearly showcasing the orange peel that we got on the last layer of clearcoat, which sucks because the first two were glassy smooth):

DSC02528.jpg

Also, here's a CAD model I'm slowly working on of the car. Ideally I'll be able to design some cool new stuff for the car, but it will probably never get that detailed. We'll see. Also, for the record, that air dam was something I modeled in approximately 10 seconds.

RX7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!! I love the FB RX7. Awaiting more pics...

Moar oics on the way.

that car looks great with the konig's... i think it needs to be a lot moar lower though

I love the Konigs on it too. I know, it needs to be moar lowar! That's probably going to be the first area I attack after I get her straight and solid again.

Very nice man and clean :) Those Handle GREAT !!! ! I had a Red 81 ,,, can't believe the higher RPM's the more "silent" it was :lol: :cool: ,,, be good to that motor !

I love the way it handles. They apparently have some issues with lowering and the geometry of the solid axle. Also the steering is even dodgier than that on my 510 (saying something), but good god, does it hold the road well. I took it down Chuckanut Drive today, the whole time, the car just wanted to go faster and faster, I had to fight the car to keep the speed down. I'm treating the motor right, always let it warm up for a little bit, and drive it easy until it's actually warm. It's got great oil in it, and a good filter.

I totally forgot to mention in the first post, it's an 85 GSL-SE. She's got 150k on the clock, but she runs great, and feels super solid, except for the aforementioned sloppy steering.

Also, I had been planning to stencil a made up hot rod shop logo on the door until I painted it for real, but one of my friends suggested doing a rising sun on the door and fender. How do those options sound to people?

Also, I've been wanting to express my frustration with RX7club. It's a great site, and a great resource with really knowledgeable people. But the lack of oics drives me crazy, so: AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Why don't people post more pics in threads on RX7 club?!?!?! </rant> God I love Ratsun.

lol rx7club. since its a gsl-se it is efi or was it retro'd to carb? Also, I had customers come in with over 200k on the clock, the highest I've seen was a 1st gen, original owner with 280k!!! But it was a 71 so it had a 12A which you can't get parts for anymore.

lol rx7club. since its a gsl-se it is efi or was it retro'd to carb? Also, I had customers come in with over 200k on the clock, the highest I've seen was a 1st gen, original owner with 280k!!! But it was a 71 so it had a 12A which you can't get parts for anymore.

Ooh, I need engine pics. Clearly. Will post those in a few minutes.

It's still efi. I really like carbs, but I also really like fuel injection. Given that the 510 is carb'd this will probably stay efi and when I start making power, I'll prob go to a proper engine management system.

Rotaries get a bad rep for being unreliable, but they can be reliable if you treat 'em right, now if you start throwing crazy boost at them, or knocking, shit brakes real quick, otherwise they're pretty fine. 280k on the clock! That's amazing!

• 3 weeks later...