521 in tank electric pump

As you may (or may not) know, I swapped in a KA24e into my 521. I used an external electric fuel pump mounted back by the tank and it works good. Well, today while doing some other things, I noticed a gas smell. Turns out the gas tank had been repaired sometime in the past with a JB weld like substance and had been holding until today (probably the f'n ethanol in the gas these days). I pulled the tank down and scrapped the goop off and sure enough, there are a couple pinholes. I plan to cut the bad section out and weld in new metal (and know how to do it safely :thumbup: ) I figure since I have the tank out, I may as well go ahead and do an in tank fuel pump. Now, I have done a couple of these on other cars with great success, but not on a 521. My question would be is if anyone has already been down this road, what vehicle did you use as a donor? I can make anything work, but the more "bolt in" the solution, the better!

Mark

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not have a donor vehicle. I bought the swap already pulled. I would bet the pump holder would need to be extended as car tanks are usually fairly shallow. I am not sure of the cost of a 240 pump, but whatever I find, I don't want something that has a $200 fuel pump in it! :lol:

Mark