74 620 steering box

Title says it all. A good non sloppy.74 620 steering box. Looking for one local to portland or. I'm building on a budget so anything helps. I got a decent set of 620 doors I could throw in. post pm text or call me 503 473 7785

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11160-steering-dead-spot-make-it-go-away/page__p__148806__hl__%2Bsteering+%2Bbox+%2Badjustment__fromsearch__1#entry148806

:lol: If you read through here theres instructions on how to check your steering components by datzenmike

Theres quite a few points in the steering components and if they all have a little wear (most do if they havent been replaced by now) and your box has even a small amount of extra play it can all add up to ALOT of noticeable play in the steering.

The wear will be in the side to side direction. You could raise both wheels and turn each of them side to side watching all the steering linkages for motion that does not transmit all the way to the steering box. Alternatively you can have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth through the slack area and see any areas where it does not get out to the wheels. Just remember that any slack in the linkages is multiplied 19 times by the box.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm now failey confident its the box. All the slop is in the wheel not in any of the lower joints. Tried tightening the box and wasn't much help. Still pretty damn scary on the freeway. So can anyone help me out with a 620 steering box?

Wheel bearings may be loose, king pins worn and sloppy, worn bushings ... all these can contribute to poor overall steering even though the steering components themselves are good.

Don't forget the box and the column are all one piece.

man that would be awsome. but i dont get paid til next thurs. i feel like a complete idiot saying this but if you could send it down this weekend, an i paypal you 30 next weekend. if not, no worries. and if you dont feel comfortable i completely understand.

an now im 100% its the box. had the front end up replacing bushing an you can hear a crack sound when rocking the wheel back an forth. :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.