WTB: A/C for 521

I'm looking to buy an a/c set up for the 521. I'm looking for a complete set up including the compressor mounting bracket, all in good condition, but not the compressor as they are always trashed and why pay shipping.

on it.

Send some pics. Thanks!

Roger( I'm sweating already)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 521 did not have Air conditioning from the factory. Any one you find is likely to be a dealer installed option. For the engine side of the AC, 620 parts would work.

There are four threaded bosses on the left side of the engine block, that held an air pump that was used for injecting air into the exhaust system. That would be a good place to mount the AC compressor.

I appologise for placing this ad under cars and trucks for sale. Ding-dong me wasn't paying attention--but I do want an a/c unit. These only came from dealer installed options. This was common back then. I think you can get a/c for the 521 from other places today that is new.

The 1600 in the 521 is same as in 620, so will the a/c bracket from those trucks work? How bout the condenser?

I guess it is the cab part with the vents and under dash stuff I really need from a 521. I can have hoses made up.

any leads?

Roger

Thanks! I took a look-see at their catalogue. They have an underdash unit that is a r production of an aftermarket unit that was period. It is 6 inches thick. Is that too much? Would it obstruct the passengers knees? It is 13 inches deep. Maybe fit it in the glove box?

They recommend a Sanden 508 compressor--5 cylinders 8 cubic inches. A more recent design, the sanden 709, is a better choice. It will fit the 508 mounting bracket but has more cylinders for a much smoother operation. Far less choppy.

I think I could mix and match an a/c unit for about a grand.

Still need the engine mounting bracket. I dont know what is available for the L16

thanks! the A/c bracket that was used for aftermarket air conditioning was bolted to those 4 holes?

Is the same engine available in other old datsuns? I guess I will have to find that bracket.

Yes , the brackets were mounted to that side of the engine. You'll need the pulley with the extra groove/slot as well. All the 521's I have seen with a/c used the York type compressor. I have a complete kit/unit I've been planning on installing someday. I'll try and get some pics posted of all the various components.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.