l20b 510 with 4 speed

Topher88

Please pleas bare with my newbyness I know nothing about the L20b. For the past 5 months I have been only doing research on my 510 that needed to compleat a SR20DE swap and now that I'm selling that all the information I learned is useless... So can I run a tach? I know the speedo cable is missing so I need to find one. Also is there a rev limiter?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please pleas bare with my newbyness I know nothing about the L20b. For the past 5 months I have been only doing research on my 510 that needed to compleat a SR20DE swap and now that I'm selling that all the information I learned is useless... So can I run a tach? I know the speedo cable is missing so I need to find one. Also is there a rev limiter?

So, you you have an L20B but were going to swap in an SR, but now you are selling the SR and now need L20B info? Correct?????

Can you run a tach.. sure. The 510 is at least 38 years old! They didn't have 'rev limiters' back then. No need for them.

Well after a quick search I learned that I prob need a tach cable lol since mine dosnt work as well, and pretty much go all out till the power stops. Maybe a little before. Sound right?

Tach cable? The 510 tach is not run by a cable, it's electric.

thank you for not ripping me a new one. I have a green 510 now with an sr20de in it but its not wired and it has lots of work left on it so i am selling that 510. I just purchased another 510 with a l20b engine swap running and all that good stuff. ok i get that a rev limiter is most likely something a computer controls so makes sence (i hope im understanding this correctly) so the engine cant go over a certain RPM so since it cant go any further i cant over rev the car or anything. obviously its an old engine so i dont want to be hitting that limit every gear all the time. ok thanks for some simple clear answers to my questions.

Well with an old school motor you can use an old school tach. Stock L motors drop off around 5,500 so and you aren't likely to miss that. You have about another thousand RPM margin. You aren't going to hurt it.

When I had the 4.11 rear end in my car I think it could do some where around 100Mph if I ran all the way to redline. The 4 speed is ok if you are not going to do a lot of Interstate driving. I think the stock rear end ratio was 3.90 which is much better for the highway but still expect to be running higher revs than normal with a 5 speed.

Why are you not finishing up the SR20 and Where is Redlands?

You could take the 5speed off the SR and bolt it up to the L20 if you do this.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

The SR20 and the KA24 transmissions are the same just with a different bell housing which you are swapping anyway to bolt it to an L-series engine.

-Dime

Why are you not finishing up the SR20 and Where is Redlands?

-Dime

a bit to much for my first car build :-/ pretty damn intimidating and F-ing expensive.. I was not aware that i could you my SR Trans insides illl look into that.