BorgWarner 5 speed vs nissan 5 speed

Im new to ratsun and new to datsuns. Im makeing plans and collecting parts to build a turbo 280zx engine. I have a 280zx turbo BorgWarner T5 and I have a 280zx non turbo 5 speed. any opinion on which one i should use and why? may be posable to put the imput shaft in the t5 in a t56 which would be sweet to have a 6 speed datsun. whats the best way to go?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

The borg warner is the definite pick of the 2 if you have plans for a turbo. The borg-warner is alot heavier and more stout, can handle more HP, etc. I guess the T-5 WC (world class) is supposed to be the one to look for on the turbo ZX's. Bleach or Datzenmike would probably be the best ones to ask on this topic. I just know you're gonna break that N/A trans trying to put an L28et on it.

The T-5 is slightly more stout than the non turbo FS5W71B so tecnically 'stronger' yes. Buy far, the next gen FS5W71C would be even better. The T-5 was also used for a couple of years with the VG30 in the300zx turbo. It was also the first car to get the FS5W71C in the noon turbo car. When the T-5s were blown up owners simply swapped to the non turbo FS5W71C and kept going. A testimonial to the new 'c' tranny ruggedness.

The 'C' didn't come with an L bolt pattern but any L FSRW71B front case (with a few minor mods) can be swapped onto a 'C'. Its the same size too.

I found the BorgWarner on ebay with all needed parts to install. got a good deal on it and thought I could resell it if the nissan 5 speed was better. The engine is going to be turbocharged so it sounds like the T5 is the one to use.

thanks every one for you help. I have goten a lot of info from this site and will post pics when I get this project underway.

Im not to worried about cuting the the floor to make this fit but if the FS5W71C from a D-21 is a better tranny than the t5 i would get one. Im plan to use the 280zx IRS on this so im sure I will end up having a custom driveshaft made.