DIY Memory Foam Bed

When the GF and I moved in together a few years back, I ended up selling my pillowtop because she had a queen sized.

Well, we recently went our seperate ways, and now I don't have a bed anymore.

I have scoliosis and I've always had issues with beds. I've always wanted a tempur-pedic matress, but they were only a pipe dream for me because of the cost. If you've never slept on a memory foam mattress you have no idea what you are missing. Its like sleeping on fluffy sand that you sink into and forms to your body like a glove.

So after looking around a lot I finally found someplace that has free shipping and comes directly from the manufacturer.

That way I can call a person, ask questions, have some kind of guarentee, see specs for the density, etc.

DIY Memory Foam Bed How To

Foam Factory

]main-memory-foam.jpgmemory4foam.jpg

IKEA bed for cheap or build your own easily.

malm-300x143.jpg

I have Emailed them, asking about having an 8" base layer instead but they aren't there on weekends.

The specs are very similar to a Tempur-Pedic that costs WAY more.

I've seen these go for at LEAST $2k and up to and over $4k with out a bed.

I figure it will cost me around $650 if I don't build my own bed.

I think it would be easier for me time wise to just buy a bed frame instead of building one.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The goal of mine was to find a DIY approach to re-create the Tempur-Pedic experience for a fraction of the cost. The way I look at it is by buying better products it should last a good 10 years or so with out having to replace the foam layer on top.

They replied to my Email about pricing:

Yes, it is possible. However, for shipping purposes, we cannot glue the foam layers together. The price quote is shown below. If you have any questions, please call 586-627-3626 and ask for Connie.

1) Lux - HQ Foam, 82" x 76" x 8" Thick: $ 325.65

Labor To Cut Foam, 60" x 80" x 8" Thick: $ 10.00

1) White Memory Foam 4.5 LB Density, 60" x 80" x 4" Thick : $ 189.95

1) Mattress Cover, White & Gray Stripe Ticking, With Zipper

60" x 80" x 12" High: $ 44.99

2) Claire Mist Spray Adhesive: ($ 7.99 each) $ 15.98

Total: $ 586.57 USD - Free Shipping within the contiguous USA

I too am a fan of the Tempurpedic but have not spent the money to get one. I slept on one for one night a few years back and loved it. I just wish they were less money. $2500 for a bed seems like a lot. Before you buy a cheaper version, you should know that there are different types of memory foam.

A few years ago, we bought a cheaper no name version of a memory foam mattress ($600 for a queen size) as it came with a money back guarantee. It was from one of the Home Shopping Channels. They said, try it for 30 day and if you don't like it, We will give you your money back. So we tried it and it was not the same as the Tempurpedic. It didn't seem to offer the same support and the foam took a long time to regain its original form. So we called and asked for our refund. They issued a refund to our credit card and told us someone would contact us to arrange for it to be picked up. The next day, someone from a womens shelter called and said she was coming to get it. Seems the factory can't take them back so they donate them.

So just be sure you can get your money back before you buy it.

Caveat Emptor!