510 Sway bar / shock options

datsunpilot

This is my first post here but I have been lurking in the shadows for about a year picking up lots of information. So for that thank all of you.

I am doing a SR swap in my 71 510 2 door. I have the 280z front struts & going to run the 280 brakes with likely ground control coils (unless someone can point me in a better direction whether it be price wise or quality) and some sort of shock ie KYB Tokico or Koni. My question is what on earth do we do about a sway bar for the now front sump motor short of a $400 custom sway bar from the aussies? I have seen a few guys that have 1" bars but from where?

Also I have seen talk about MR2 shocks in the front, what year are we talking? And is this arguably the best way to go? It makes sense to me 280 shocks would be far too stiff.

I have many questions but I will stop there.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baugh well there is my other problem I bought the struts off ebay and they said 280z in the title but... in the description it said 280zx everywhere else so obviously I ended up buying them but now the guy wont respond as to which ones they really are... and I think they are 280z with my luck.

What should I do if they are z not zx?

Just wanted to welcome you. Glad to have another 510 rolling around the NE! You're one of like 6 or 7 guys I think?

Please start a project thread in the project section so we can see this puppy!

Back on topid, what is the issue with Z struts instead of ZX? Are the zx brakes just better or will the z components not work? The more that I look at and or think about the struts I got I feel they are 280z...

Can the zx brakes be used on z struts?

Will z struts work with ground control coils? I thought I had this all set and figured out but I am lost again... I have owned some great handling cars and I want this lil bugger to be great!

Welcome east coast 510 owner. Nice to have another on the east coast.

280z struts will not work in a 510. The spindle angle is all wrong. If you want to upgrade the brakes and suspension, you need the 280ZX struts.

I have an complete extra set here in MD.

Let me know if you are interested.

We have an annual East Coast Datsun 510 Meet. This year it will be held May 13-15.

See this thread for info.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16003

See the East Coast 510 website here:

http://www.eastcoastdatsun510.com

Hope you can join us.