Standard shift tranny swapping

DailyDato

I have built many automatics, and most have a swapable output shafts, say swapping between 2wd and 4wd parts, are the out put shafts swapable in a datsun standard shift? Can i use the case of a 620 4 speed, and the gears out of a 720 5 speed, with the input and output shafts of the 4 speed and create a tranny that will be the correct length i need to have a 5 speed seeing that a tranny the right length is a lil hard to find in my area?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Measure the trans length, some are short tail some are long. try and find one thats the same length. Yes, you can take a 4 speed 620 bell housing and put it on a 720 5 speed. Sometimes it requires drilling i think (for a shift fork?)

Keep the gear off the 4 speed to toss on the 5 speed so your speedo stays the same.

I have five trannys right now, and they are an array of ones which will work, but all have highly varying length, I don't mean to just use the bellhousing, I was wondering for the whole case, bellhousing and tail shaft, and say maybe just swap the gears from the 5 speed into the 4, but didn't know if the shafts are removable from the gear sets

I am pretty sure you cannot put 5 speed guts inside a 4 speed case. As old as these cars are, somebody would have done it by now.

I have put a long 5 speed in a 521. As far as the length goes, shorten the front half of the drive line, move the mount on the bracket that bolts to the frame cross member, and cut a new hole in the floor for the shifter.

The three pieces that need welding (driveline, mount, floor cover) can all be unbolted from the truck, and put on a bench so bad welders like me can do it under ideal positions.

You will need a yolk that fits the back of the transmission you are putting in. I believe you can use a stock u-joint to mate the new yolk to the shortened driveline.