carb adjustment?

co.dime

just got me a 1972 510 2 door, 52k org. miles, with dual side draft mikuni carbs. on a l20b with 2k miles, the guy i got it from said he adjusted it for the elvation he was at, which is like 6500-7500 feet. now im down to 5500 or so is it going to make a big diff. i dont get it tuned for here? and anybody know the redline on that engine? anybody know a good place around colorado springs that can work on the car and not screw it up?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you change the exhaust radically, it might be worthwhile to rejet the carbs. Like going from 2" exhaust to 3" or fitting tubular headers instead of a factory exhaust manifold. But generally it will still run OK.

Just changing the muffler to a lower flow type won't require rejetting the carburetors.

Redline on an L20B I would say 6-6.5K reliably. You can go higher than that and it won't blow up but it will shorten the life.

Carbs tend to get richer with altitude increase and leaner with decrease. I doubt it will affect it that much but if it runs hotter or the plugs are white (a good indication of a lean mixture) then maybe time for a change. Plus you don't know exactly how accurate his changes in jets were to begin with. He may have gone lean making yours worse.