320 Voltage Regulator

Hey there,

The aftermarket voltage regulator that the last owner put into my 65 Datsun 320 is on the fritz. I personally doubt it ever worked correctly. It may be a mismatched part problem. I can't seem to find one that would work. Any ideas out there? Sources? Other models that would work? I'll try anything. The next step is ditching my good generator and going with an internally regulated alternator. I'd love any suggestions.

Kathy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best I can think of is that some Tractor applications use positive ground. Problem is they all seem to be specific to Delco-Remy generators, and I don't know if they can me made to work.

eBay link

This is listed as being BOTH pos/neg ground compatible everywhere I've found it (dual polarity). It requires wiring to Light, Battery, and Field. I don't know offhand what the generator output wiring is on the 320 because mine was already neg-ground swapped with a GM self-exciting alternator.

• 3 weeks later...

Best I can think of is that some Tractor applications use positive ground. Problem is they all seem to be specific to Delco-Remy generators, and I don't know if they can me made to work.

eBay link

This is listed as being BOTH pos/neg ground compatible everywhere I've found it (dual polarity). It requires wiring to Light, Battery, and Field. I don't know offhand what the generator output wiring is on the 320 because mine was already neg-ground swapped with a GM self-exciting alternator.

The one Doug listed that is on ebay...John Deere brand is only for the Delco generators, not sure if they will work with the original Hitachi or other Japanese generator, but I will ask my electical guy, who seems to know all the good answers. The Delco gen. was quite a bit larger than the original Japanese generators.

I think you meant pl521sss but close enough

Glad it's charging.

Now that I gave you my good one, hope won't need them anytime soon.

Glad to help

Enjoy the drive

This forum is amazing. Thanks to pl510sss my Dat is charging her very own battery once again. He had a volt reg out of an old 320 that is working great. Feels good to not have to charge that battery every three days :D Thanks for all the help.

Kathy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.