Windshield wiper/turn signal switch/ voltage reg question

Not sure if all Datsun models were similar, so may or may not be able to get a direct answer. (all questions are relative to my 81' 210 hatch)

Question 1: On hatchback and goon models, was the rear wipe on the same switch as the front wiper? Mine has never worked, and it's about time I get it working again.

Question 2: My turn signal switch is sticking and not always engaging. I've cleaned it out and inspected it but still have the same problem. What else can I use to clean it? It is still rather dirty. Also, Is there any kind of non-conductive grease I can use on it? i was told maybe white lithium grease, but i want to confirm.

Question 3: My wiper switch has 4 positions. However, my second position does NOTHING when I set it. Although, I have heard a buzzing relay and had my engine stall when i switched it to it once, but never been able to replicate the problem.

Question 4: I've had an electrical drain for some time now, that I've traced back to something on the signal wire of the alternator. I've re-traced all the wiring from the alternator and verified it to all be correct with no shorts or corrosion. I've even gone as far as just replacing the alternator with a 60amp reman L-series unit for shits and giggles. (Old one had a squeaky bearing.) Where is the voltage regulator locaed and what does it look like? I've heard that it may be an issue that i want to look into. I've checked the wiring diagram and it said the voltage regulator was in the engine compartment, however I haven't seen it anywhere. All the pictures of them I have looked up look like an internally regulated part, but according to the wiring diagram, it's external.

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3. My wiper switch has 4 positions

first - OFF/PARK

second - intermittent

third - LO

fourth - HIGH

The intermittent goes through the Amplifier box. It might have short-circuited.

22442.jpg

Sorry, I meant to say it's the second position that is not working. Edited the original post.

Where is this amplifier box located? And is it still possible to buy now? Or is it one of those parts that has to be salvaged?

Answers:

#1: No, it has its own switch, somewhere on the dash, usually next to the rear defogger switch.

#2: White lithium is good, but you need to get it totally clean first. That means removing and disassembling it (and don't lose the little BB-like contacts and springs!)

#3: Yep, that's the intermittent, and the unit is bad. I've had 3 of those units fail (one had unsealed and the plastic "box" that contains the electronics part of the amplifier was full of water). Fortunatelt just about every Datsun from '81-85ish used the same relay, though it might look different on the outside.

#4: On your car, the regulator is inside the alternator. If changing the alternator didn't solve the problem, either you got an identically bad alternator (unlikely) or your problems lie elsewhere, maybe the choke relay.