stock 510 ignition coil diagram/wire colors

benzo

Hi

I want to swap out my pertronix coil and put back my bosch or stock coil and ballast but forgot how the wiring went back to stock as it has been a while. can someone post what color wires go where. someone did give me a diagram but wanted to have something with wire colors to verify or double check

thanks

Benzo

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok I have the following wires

black/white

black/blue

black/green

red wire coming from dist

black wire coming from dist.

I know the black coming from dist goes to neg side of coil and black/white goes to one side of ballast resistor but not fully sure of red and black/blue and black green? Hainz had a diagram that noted the red from dist is on the same side of ballast as the black/white and the black blue looks to go onto the other side of ballast and shows the black/green on positive side of coil but he notes to splice the black blue to also be on the positive side of coil.

can anyone help assist?

thanks

Ben

Why you want to swap out?

blk/ whte goes to a stock ballast of about 1.6 ohms. you can hook up the blk grn to this side of the ballast. and the blk blu can go to the +side coil. you cqan have them swapped to what ever lenth fit better as

the blk/blu (hot start) is shorted to to a blk /grn(under tape is a chezzy c clip splice) this will go to the stock coil of about 1.6 ohms.

red of pertronix goes to the plus side of the ballast with the blk/wht wire. so it get the full 12volt/14 voltsBlk oBlack of Pertronix goes to -side coil

in the" how to "section I believe this is is hear

plus always print out ignition diagrams in case you need them later and put in a book.

part#s ect.

I started a notebook and put all the different types of ignition hook ups part #s ect...,part interchange

Hi Hainz

yeah i have your diagrams but at first I was not fully sure of the blk/blue and blk/green wires but after looking at my car it looks like they do splice under the factory tape and also was not sure that the red from the dist can go to the blk/white side. since my wires are all stock and so are connectors. For now just going to use the spade connectors to get it running. I will go home and put the wires like you said and let you know

I wanted to go back to stock as for some reason and it may be me psychologically I felt the car ran better with the stock coil over the pertronix coil. not sure if it was conicidence but after the coil swap and a bit after the car started to pop out the exhaust more. I wanted to go back to stock to see but I guess also I need to work on my car more to get to know it better also

thanks for helping Hainz

Benzo

if one uese the pertronix 3 ohm coil

You would hook up the blk/wht and the hotstart wire together at the + side coil.

be honest the stock wire set up is better I think cause when its cold your halfing the resisitance(increase current) at the coil during Start position on the switch.

The pertronix coil set up dont have a ballast as its already 3 ohms and hitting the START your still going thru 3 ohms and if you have a cold motor it could be harder to start as the Starter is using alot of the current thrus dropping the voltage even more.

all point vehichles will be this way. They will have a ballast resisitor with a high resisitance coil(say 1.2-1.8 or so). or a resisitive wire of close to 1 ohm. Its hard to tell soemtimes using a cheap multimeter but its there.

if one uses a low resisitance coil in a pertronix you made make up the difference by adding another ballast as pertronix wants under 4 amps during the On position.

Hey Hainz

I followed the diagram you posted on here and the realm and added it to my favorites and yes it all worked out. took me a couple of minutes to loosely connect everything and the car started up fine. after it started I cleaned up the wiring and electric taped up some stuff and loomed it to clean it up and made sure the connections were solid. car started up again but will take it for a test drive tomorrow night since it is too late now

Don't know if it is psychological but it did start a bit better than normal or over the pertronix coil and seems to be smoother or revs even cold smoother.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Benzo

took the car out for a test drive and it is better running. smoother and no more popping which tells me that pertronix coil may have not been burning off the fuel. don't know how valid this is but it is notioable.

just my luck I swapped out my oil pressure light switch but while doing it the wire for the fuaible link broke. fixed it for now but need to get a new one as the old wire is sketchy.