L20b Shim Between Crank and Flywheel??

brodster

I am gathering all my parts to take to the machine shop for a engine balance. I have or THOUGHT I have everything. My L20b came of a vehicle with an automatic tranny, but I am converting over to a manual. I bought a super nice lightened 225mm lightened flywheel from A1Machinsta and all the necessary bolts, etc.

Perhaps it isn't a big deal, but I was looking at some diagrams that show a shim between the crank and flywheel: http://nissan4u.com/parts/pickup/us_720/1980_1/type_16/engine_mechanical/piston_and_crankshaft_and_flywheel/

A couple of the diagrams show a crankshaft Pin that goes from the crank to the flywheel as well.

Do I need these things? Maybe it won't matter for the balance too much. Never had one done before.

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The autos had the shim, keep it off for the manual.

The pin may have come from a diesel engine. Speaking from experience on z cars, the diesel crankshaft has a dowl in the end of the crank to index the flywheel. Your non diesel crankshaft won't have it.

Don't worry about the spacer, that's only for use on an automatic flex plate. Your flywheel won't even fit on with it in place. Just pry off or leave off.

The pin is likely one of the three dowel pins that stick out of the flywheel to align the pressure plate in position.