FWD CA20E bellhousing w/ GA16DE or SR20DE?

datsuntech

I have an 86 Multi 4WD with the stock CA20DE lump. I am pretty sure that the CA18DE/T will bolt up to the trans, but they are hard to come by. The GA16DE and SR20DE are plentiful in the junkyards, but does anyone know if either of the engines have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the CA?

Brock

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 86 Multi 4WD with the stock CA20DE lump. I am pretty sure that the CA18DE/T will bolt up to the trans, but they are hard to come by. The GA16DE and SR20DE are plentiful in the junkyards, but does anyone know if either of the engines have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the CA?

Brock

OK. I found out that the SR20DE uses a different bellhousing. Still looking for info about the GA16DE.

Brock

The '90 Stanza came with the same RS5F50A (2wd) tranny in it.

The front clutch bell housing could be swapped onto your (AWD) RS5F50A tranny. This would allow a bolt pattern for mounting the KA24E motor.

You will need to research this, but I seem to remember the KA and SR using the same bolt pattern. Could be wrong but....

The '90 Stanza came with the same RS5F50A (2wd) tranny in it.

The front clutch bell housing could be swapped onto your (AWD) RS5F50A tranny. This would allow a bolt pattern for mounting the KA24E motor.

You will need to research this, but I seem to remember the KA and SR using the same bolt pattern. Could be wrong but....

Now that is an option. I have a couple of spare KA24E engines lying around along with a smashed up Axxess, AT, FWD unfortunately. I'll have to get the tape measure out to see if it will even fit. I do know that the SR20DE is longer than the CA18DE which will put it closer to the frame rail. I wonder if the KA is longer yet.

Brock

Now that is an option. I have a couple of spare KA24E engines lying around along with a smashed up Axxess, AT, FWD unfortunately. I'll have to get the tape measure out to see if it will even fit. I do know that the SR20DE is longer than the CA18DE which will put it closer to the frame rail. I wonder if the KA is longer yet.

Brock

Doing a little more reading on the RS5F50A it came in the Maxima. The 4WD Axxess has a RS5F50Y, the Multi and Stanza one is the RS5F50C. I assume thes are all the same trans with different ratios?

Brock

Doing a little more reading on the RS5F50A it came in the Maxima. The 4WD Axxess has a RS5F50Y, the Multi and Stanza one is the RS5F50C. I assume thes are all the same trans with different ratios?

Brock

OK so I pull out my stanza manual and it says RS5F50A even though the trans part house website says RS5F50C. I am inclined to believe the Nissan publication, but I don't have the multi manual(should be here in a week or two) Doesn't really make any difference, I'm going to start looking for a Stanza/Axxess bellhousing or a whole Axxess 4WD trans.

With all of this work I know I should just start looking for a 4WD Axxess, but I really like the boxiness of the multi....I am a 510 lover after all.

Brock

The GA bolt holes do line up with the CA tranny so you could likely make that work, there are LOTS of GA16DEs around. The SR bolt pattern is unique, the KA is the same as L and Z and the SR KA Z L motors are all longer than the CA and GA as the bore spacing is similar between those two "little" motors.

A CA16DE or 18DE from a 87-89 KN13 pulsar NX would be a cool swap but the NX ECCS harness is integral with the body/dash harness, pulling it in a yard off a wreck is a BITCH.

And your multi might have a simple old school EFI harness that wont run a GA16DE anyway.

The "F50" trannies are all similar, the A or V on the end refers to LSD, V is for viscus Y or C?...... you tell me..... I haven't seen Nissan use those letters.

FYI.. RS5F50 trannies can be found in; AWD SR20DET GTi-R, J30 Maxima w/ V6, U13/14 Stanza/Altima w/ KA, and M12 Axxes also KA

Also newer FS5F5XX model P11/12 Primera/G20, B16/17 Sentra QR and MR motors but I cant say they will swap bell-housings eaisily

• Like 1