Are 280ZX struts overkill on a 1200?

littlejason

I just wanted to check for opinions.

My car currently has B210 struts (which is an upgrade). I'm trying to decide if I should modify those, or use 280ZX struts (I have a set also). I like how the B210 hubs position the wheel, and I can use 13s. And the 280ZX ones seem so big and heavy.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like the handling then stick with what you have. 280 struts will have a massive rotor and caliper and the spindle is larger too. This will add to your unsprung weight. Unsprung weight must follow the ups and downs of the road so the more mass, the more the wheel will tent to 'ski jump' off the top of a bump and loose traction. A lighter weight will more easily follow road irregularities and keep the tire pressed to the ground. You could trade this off by running smaller lighter coil overs, lighter mag rims and tires to compensate for the extra weight.

Most people don't even need the calipers and rotors they have and are more than plenty for DD ing. OH yeah.... the massive 280zx caliper will require a 14" rim almost for sure, to clear it.