The Evil ZXT

zx_bean

I am starting this thread to basically tell the story of my Z. Everything iv done to it, so on and so fourth.. Of course packed full of pictures!

I bought the car October 19, 2007. I found an ad on craigslist for a 1980 280zx for only $300. At that price I wassant really expecting much. Much to my suprise, I found myself a straight rust free slick top Z. Only one problem, the engine had no power left due to a burnt valve. So I already knew a engine swap was soon to come.

1020071749a.jpg

1020071749.jpg

a few after getting her home and cleaned up a bit.

PB110157.jpg

PB110155.jpg

What was to come would be the worst 3 year headache imaginable. After moving back to Chicago and trailering the car with me. I soon started to looked at swap options.. v8, v6, rb, l28et, blah blah.. I soon found a 81 turbo parts car for $750 bucks! well shit it runs, drives, and has no floors!

DSCN0074.jpg

I soon got the while I was at B.S. so I went nuts with a ms2 ecu, edis ign, huge front mount.. after getting everything wired and working properly, which took about a yr and a half. I still for the life of me could not get the damn thing to run right.

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

So I traded the entire car for a 71 240z. It needed work, but the good thing was that it drove!

b64035f5.jpg

It took about 2 months or so, but I missed my ZX. Even though I had never actually driven it. I still missed it. So lucky I was able to strike a deal with the guy I sold it to. Trade the 240z for my ZX as shell and a 82 ZXT. So I figured ok sweet, I can put my car together 100% stock.

Well this setup never left the drive way. For some unknown reason the f54/p90 will not build oil pressure. I have done everything I could think of. So after thinking of what I could do, I have a spare n42/n47 out of a parts car.

So as of right now, I am in the process of prepping the N/A engine with all the turbo goodies. I dont plan to boost over stock. My plan is to drive it as a n/a turbo hybrid till I have the extra money to have the turbo longblock sent out and checked.

So my plan now is to use this as a build thread, so check back for updates.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I figured a up to date mod list was in order. So far I have swapped the recp. ball steering for the rack and pinion setup. I swapped the entire rear subframe from the 82 zxt parts car. So I got the rear brake upgrade, R200 diff, and the cv axels. I totally changed the interior from blue & silver to black. I also installed the clutch pedal assembly in preparation for the 5spd that is soon to come. I will have current pictures up sometime today.

As for progress made on the car today, so far its been slim. But I do plan to make it out to the garage and get the new engine in the car today. :D

well here is the good news everyone has been waiting for. ITS ALIVE! I drove it around the better part of yesterday. All I can say is wow, It feels great to be able to drive my Z again. Well seeing as how no one has seen the current state of my car, I snapped a few pictures. I would have taken more but its to damn cold outside.

I did have one hickup however, I accidentally cracked the oil feed line to my turbo. Now iv been looking on ebay and a few other places. It looks like the standard size is 36". I really dont think its going to be long enough. Anyone know what length of line im going to need?

DSCN0956.jpg

DSCN0955.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

I will get a few under hood shots next time.