Idea for a streetable vintage datto race car

I'd been tinkering around with originally building a street legal formula V (vw based racecar) from my old bug, but then poking around on a site that had been posted on 311s.org I found this http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsunnl7576.html and fell in love. :wub:

So now onto the drawing board on making this a street legal Datsun NL-76 hot rod. I'm finishing up on my motorcycle project and my roadster is awaiting parts and for some reason I just seem to have a lot of junk laying around that would produce a rolling frame for such.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though wont be as cool as the wish bone front end, I'll be going with a VW front beam as locally they are cheaper then dirt and with a solid rear axle, something with an LSD. The engine I'm planning on keeping nissan, I want DOHC if possible but need to keep the size small. All I can say about the body so far is lots of rivets and a lot of hammering.

I'd been tinkering around with originally building a street legal formula V (vw based racecar) from my old bug, but then poking around on a site that had been posted on 311s.org I found this http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsunnl7576.html and fell in love. :wub:

So now onto the drawing board on making this a street legal Datsun NL-76 hot rod. I'm finishing up on my motorcycle project and my roadster is awaiting parts and for some reason I just seem to have a lot of junk laying around that would produce a rolling frame for such.

So rad! I still haven't given hope of creating a ol skool datsun from the 30's. But lately I have really been digging track nose T's too. This is inspirational!

My recipe so far (Since getting a Datsun type 16 is near impossible) getting a beat Austin ruby (The Datsun was sort of a copy though far from exact.) Doing the cosmetic mods to make it look like the Datsun type 16, suicide doors that sort of thing. And replicating that bitchin little rabbit hood ornament they had on the Datsuns. Then shoving a l28 in it and extending the wheelbase!

Or getting the '37-ish Graham Paige crusader (I think its named) which was sold to Nissan and marketed in Japan in the late 30's. It had a a straight six back then so a l28 is a no brainer! But it is a big car and I would rather something smaller like the Austin.

Someday!

So I say GO FOXY GO!