Newb: advice for Coil upgrade?

calm_bomb

Hey all, I am upgrading to an electronic ignition, and need to get a new coil. Any suggestions?

Currently, I have a '72 wagon, l20b with original points / condensers and old coil. I have the Petronix Ignitor Electronic Ignition ready to go, but am unsure which coil to purchase. Budget is ~$50.

Thanks for your input

~derek

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

show a picture of inside your distributor.

If you have a single point L16 dist the pertronix is pretty much a drop in.

If its a single point L20 dist the ring above the point lobe must be ground off otherwise the magnet ring in the Pertronix kit wont fit on there. It can work but you have to remove the shft with the ring on it and take it to a machine shop. I had a buddy to mine he has a samll lath at home

use the stock coil and ballst with the Pertronix. It says in the instruction to do so. If you put a low resisiant coil in there it could pop the Pertronix.

I run Pertroni in my cars and find them alot better than points.

awesome! thanks for the reply. It has the dual point l16 dist. Will that change the 'drop in' status?

I've used the Pertronix in a single point L16 unit myself. In theory the Pertronix would

essentially convert the dual point dist. to single point since it comes with it's own wiring,

but I can't vouch for correct fit of the fixed trigger which replaces the points. Read the

instructions and literature carefully, since Pertronix designs very specific good fitting

parts for the many apps. One complication: there are (at least) two different dimensions

Datsun used for points cams and Pertronix rotors cover some of these variations but

possibly not all of them.

I used a stock coil and it worked fine.

I've used the Pertronix in a single point L16 unit myself. In theory the Pertronix would

essentially convert the dual point dist. to single point since it comes with it's own wiring,

but I can't vouch for correct fit of the fixed trigger which replaces the points. Read the

instructions and literature carefully, since Pertronix designs very specific good fitting

parts for the many apps. One complication: there are (at least) two different dimensions

Datsun used for points cams and Pertronix rotors cover some of these variations but

possibly not all of them.

I used a stock coil and it worked fine.

Thanks for the info. The instructions that came with the Pertronix EI were fairly generic. I am installing it right now

and update in a bit. One question in the back of my mind; do I have to align the timing with the EI like with points?

~derek

• 3 weeks later...

The Pertronix kit will not fit the dual point distributor. Period End of story

when you order for a 510 it will list only a L16 single point of the 68-69 or a SSS distributor.

use the old coil and ballast resisitor.

No need to measure the reisitance of your coil caause you know its working. Period!!!!!!

Awesome, like the way you think. Glad I went with my instinct and didn't install it.

~derek